• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft Help

quinnt

NAXJA Forum User
Well my rear U joint snapped while going down the road today. I know a need a new driveshaft, I'm pretty sure I need a new rear yoke, I think everything else minus the muffler is ok.

My poor XJ
35423_1457519353826_1108624980_1316250_6957872_n.jpg

Ears are pretty worn out and yoke doesnt look to good, I assumer it's shot?
36382_1457521473879_1108624980_1316253_7041926_n.jpg

Mangled
34102_1457521873889_1108624980_1316255_7125024_n.jpg

So I guess what I'm asking is, at this point, how much would it cost to replace OEM parts VS SYE parts since I have a 3 inch lift?

Thanks guys.

I'd replace that yoke. Don't remember what I paid for the C8.25 yoke several years ago.

As far as OEM vs. SYE, you still need to replace that rear yoke.

Just out of curiosity, considering that's a late model XJ, why have it towed? Put in 4hi, making it front wheel drive. I drove my 94 that way for several hundred miles.

YIKES! That looks like it was that way for a while. Did you hear any grinding noises before it happened? That U-joint is far, far, far beyond worn out.

I'd hit the junkyard for a new shaft and yoke, slap it all in (may have to buy a brand new pinion nut and install with a torque wrench, I don't recall if the C8.25 is a shimmed-pinion axle or a crush sleeve axle, also) and call it a day.

Ken's right. Use a new pinion nut and get the right preload. Took me a couple of years, but I did roast a pinion when the nut backed off (or I didn't get the nut torqued down far enough.) If you do get a junkyard driveshaft, I'd put a couple of new u-joints in it.

Edit: I'm also not sure that the OP has a C8.25 rear axle. I noted that, as that's what I had to purchase.

Ears are pretty worn out and yoke doesnt look to good, I assumer it's shot?
36382_1457521473879_1108624980_1316253_7041926_n.jpg

Well, that's what we call "lack of maintenance."

You just ignore all the banging and noise it was making?

Yep, I also agree with Ken and Jeff said.

It actually wasn't making any banging noises, I was in the process of trying to track down a vibration. I'm not sure how long the previous owner drove it on this U joint, but you're smart ass remarks certainly aren't needed, I'm not one to neglect things that need to be fixed.

Yes it's a C8.25, I'll replace the yoke, 4wd currently isn't working because I'm fixing that as well otherwise I would've tried that.

That thing had to have been practically vibrating the Jeep apart. Talk about driving with the blinders on.. turn the radio up, it's fine! :)
X2 I bet u fix that shaft and replace the yoke and u will find u no longer have a vibration

:shakesheadindisbeleif:

Might be time a good time to upgrade to the 1310 u-bolt style yoke.

no clunking when you let off the gas? i find that hard to beleive, i drove on a ujoint HALF as bad for 2 months, i find it hard to beleive someone wouldnt feel a clunk.
see the rust on the stubs? that means its been there for a long time. many people who posted here are proffesionals.

......SOOOOOOO, dont get all defensive, your pics dont lie. you posted em, deal with the critisizm. you earned it when you posted the pic. your mal-maintenance couldve caused an accident. we drive the same roads (not quite), hell yeah we're gonna call you on it!

I'll admit it, when I bought my first car (my 96) I missed a bunch of stuff in my pre-purchase inspectionn like the rusty brake line that introduced me to a guardrail and cost me a grand in tools and parts to fix it. Lesson learned though!

Learn from this one and you'll be doing way better than most people with cars. When I buy now, my inspection usually turns up a whole bunch of stuff, the last two have found everything that has broken so far except a dud o2 sensor that had no visible damage and only showed itself a week after I bought.

Check over EVERYTHING once in a while.

Order a grease gun also since its obvious you dont own one!
PS:You half to learn to use it too!

I want to say 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" but I'm honestly not sure.

PS - let me know if you need bits and pieces or help putting it back together, I'm not that far away and I generally hit the you-pull-it a couple times a week before work when time permits.

i used a 33 or 34 mm to get mine off i believe

Back