• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease Fittings on a 2001 XJ

usna61

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

So the local shop that I used to go to when i needed my oil changed closed down because of the economy and I'm changing my oil for the first time by myself. Now I have no problem doing that, I just need to know what I need to grease as well to keep everything nice and smooth. I just need the number of grease fittings and their locations if possible.

I have a 2001 XJ Sport with the 4.0 litre engine and automatic transmission with the dana 30 up front and chrysler 8.25 in the rear.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

upper balljoints (zerks are on the tops of the inner Cs)
zerk on the side of the front driveshaft near the slip joint
possibly both rear driveshaft U-joints and all 3 front driveshaft U-joints, depends on whether they have zerks or not
every steering joint (both ends of tie rod, knuckle and pitman ends of drag link)
both front axle U-joints if they have zerks

I think that about covers it.

There are 7 total, upper ball joints 2
Track bar will have 2, one each end.
Steering linkages, just follow all the steering stuff and you will find them.
Front drive shaft 1
Then I have 2 more on my JKS disconnects.

also take a look at the u-joints on the driveshafts as well as by the wheel hub. Factory these are non-greaseable but if they were replaced by aftermarket, some aftermarket have fittings on them to grease. If the u joints by the wheel hubs have the fittings you need a special attachment for your grease gun. This is because they are special since a low profile is needed.

upper balljoints (zerks are on the tops of the inner Cs)
zerk on the side of the front driveshaft near the slip joint
possibly both rear driveshaft U-joints and all 3 front driveshaft U-joints, depends on whether they have zerks or not
every steering joint (both ends of tie rod, knuckle and pitman ends of drag link)
both front axle U-joints if they have zerks

I think that about covers it.

sounds correct to me!
good luck

Back