• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revolver shackles

lozinge

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of getting a set of these for my xj. I have read various reports on them but would like to know what you guys think of them and if you have had any experience with them.

I am thinking of getting a set of these for my xj. I have read various reports on them but would like to know what you guys think of them and if you have had any experience with them.

why do you need them?

little more info about your suspension setup would help.

i would look into shackle relocation brackets if you have shackle issues.

someone in this thread has the shackle relocation brackets for sale, and its not me.

I am after more axle articulation from the leaf springs. I have rough country 4.5 leaf packs at the mo but want more drop, thats why i was looking at relvolver shackles.

I am after more axle articulation from the leaf springs. I have rough country 4.5 leaf packs at the mo but want more drop, thats why i was looking at relvolver shackles.

what is the shackle angle with the jeep at rest. if its straight up an down or only angled slightly to the rear, then you need to change the angle. if this is the case, i would think the revolver shackle would just unload on you.

Whats the point in having more downtravel if there is no vehicle weight on that tire? once the revolver shackles start dropping down there is only the axle weight on it and thats not going to help. Your going to have more axle wrap and wheel hop with that setup. If you want more usable travel then run a 1-1.5 inch lift shackle and remove your bottom spring. I dont really care for a shackle relocation because then you end up with a short shackle.

Whats the point in having more downtravel if there is no vehicle weight on that tire? once the revolver shackles start dropping down there is only the axle weight on it and thats not going to help. Your going to have more axle wrap and wheel hop with that setup. If you want more usable travel then run a 1-1.5 inch lift shackle and remove your bottom spring. I dont really care for a shackle relocation because then you end up with a short shackle.
Thanks, thats what i needed to know. I will look into the relocation brackets.

what is the shackle angle with the jeep at rest. if its straight up an down or only angled slightly to the rear, then you need to change the angle. if this is the case, i would think the revolver shackle would just unload on you.
I will have to look at the angle, What is the ideal angle to have them at

They unload and allow more axle wrap.......junk. Are no benefit to performance in any way.

That is something new that has yet to be tried. If its shackle angle you need the BrianHo makes what you need. http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

Yeah Andy pm'd me about it when he released it and I wanted to try it but lack of funds aren't allowing me. I just purchased Brian's relocation brackets (awesome!) so I can't afford another leaf spring modification. It does seem pretty neat though, how it allows the spring to twist without binding. It would take the stress off the bushings and give the leaf springs more freedom to flex. Maybe this would cure Rusty's bushing issues since they can't handle much twisting before tearing to bits.

I understand the concept, but don't see much advantage in the real world. The front half of the leaf pack acts as a control arm to locate the axle, and the front half of the leaf pack is shorter and thicker than the rear half. This won't help the front half of the leaf pack to twist better, only the rear half which is longer and flexier to begin with. I don't see it as much of an advantage, if any.

Some setups have a pivot at the spring pad on the axle, and that works since the leaf pack doesn't have to twist at all. However, that only works for better flex and looses some lateral stability that effects other handling. Brings us back to the fact that a good leaf pack will flex as much as is needed and provides good handling and stability.

I understand the concept, but don't see much advantage in the real world. The front half of the leaf pack acts as a control arm to locate the axle, and the front half of the leaf pack is shorter and thicker than the rear half. This won't help the front half of the leaf pack to twist better, only the rear half which is longer and flexier to begin with. I don't see it as much of an advantage, if any.

Some setups have a pivot at the spring pad on the axle, and that works since the leaf pack doesn't have to twist at all. However, that only works for better flex and looses some lateral stability that effects other handling. Brings us back to the fact that a good leaf pack will flex as much as is needed and provides good handling and stability.

I can see your point. I do know he tried them on his Jeep and saw better flex. He is also looking at a front mount. My main concern was that it might make the spring more likely to break with the twisting.

Makes sense. It's in the testing phases but he said he noticed some improvement, not alot, but some. You could give him a call and shoot him some feedback. He loves talkin jeep and welcomes any feedback on his products so he can improve em.

I like how Stevens said it was granting a new liberty...yet it's in the Constitution.

Back