• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel alignment

4LVLFWD

NAXJA Forum User
...So I finally got the XJ lifted and aligned ASAP. Drop off the XJ and went to work, they call me about an hour later telling me that the steering wheel isn't centered and it needs to be centered in order for it to be aligned correctly, and to do so they need to take off the pitman arm and go about it, it costs $70 to get it centered cause they charged me for an hours work to do a 15 min. job. So I get the Jeep back and drives straight, steering wheels slightly off center, maybe to the 11 to 11:30 position. I notice that the track bar wasn't centered, so I crawl under and adjust as necessary to center the axle. I also notice that the pitman arm looks like its been moved, along with the drag link sleeve to adjust the steering wheel (fresh marks on old parts)... Now the steering wheel is pointed to the 9 o clock position. I know the steering is straight and the toe is in spec. I want to get the wheel back into the 12 o clock position, so how should I go about adjusting the thing? I was thinking of disconnecting the pitman arm and centering the steering wheel and reattaching the pitman arm. Or do I have enough threads/adjustment to just use the sleeve??? Im also thinking that the alignment shop was full of shit about the pitman arm after doing some research.

Take it somewhere else,those guys dont have a clue!You need to adjust the trackbar first,then the drag link collar.

Take it somewhere else,those guys dont have a clue!

X2! Steering wheel center is adjusted with the draglink collar, not the pitman arm. IIRC the pitman arm will only go on the splines in one position, don't know how they would have moved it without modifying somthing.

This is why you NEVER take a lifted Jeep to a SHOP for alignment. Unless said shop specializes in lifted Jeeps. Most regular alignment shops don't do a complete alignment on a XJ, especially if it is lifted. Do it Yourself, it is easy, it will be complete, it will be done correctly. Here's how; http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm. If the shop messed with the pitman arm you may have to remove it to put it back where it belongs, so that you can correctly adjust the draglink. Adjust the trackbar, and control arms (caster) BEFORE setting the toe, then recheck catser setting.

Any shop that would remove and reposition the pitman arm to center the steering wheel does not know WTF they are doing. Don't go back to that shop and tell all your friends not to go there.

I agree if they talk about repositioning the pitman arm, don't let them touch your Jeep.

If the alignment is good.....straighten the steering wheel yourself. With the wheels straight, loosen your drag Link (the rod from the pitman arm to your tie rod) and turn it to achieve the desired location of the steering wheel and tighten it up.

well as an allignment tech i can tell you its almost never happens thaat you need to drop pitman arm to center wheel...

BUT....

if the wheel is inverted enought that turning the drag link sleeve could possibly be turned out too far or not have enough adjustment...the pitman are can go on the box in 4 different positions..there are the smaller splines and 4 evenly spaced larger splines....

so, yes, it might have been in best interest to drop and reset pitman arm..
but also may not have been neccessary...never know if ya dont do it yourself

if the wheel is inverted enought that turning the drag link sleeve could possibly be turned out too far or not have enough adjustment...the pitman are can go on the box in 4 different positions..there are the smaller splines and 4 evenly spaced larger splines....

this is when its time for a longer sleeve or the correct length steering. changing the position of the pitman arm is the improper way to fix the issue.

If the alignment is good.....straighten the steering wheel yourself.

And then the alignment won't be the same. Moving the steering wheel changes total toe on an inverted-Y setup. Period. It's not much, but it happens, I'm gonna get replies from people disagreeing, but it's a fact. :)

If it's only off a little bit it's not really going to matter, but bringing the steering wheel over say from 9 oclock to 12 will move the toe about 1/8 inch.

And then the alignment won't be the same. Moving the steering wheel changes total toe on an inverted-Y setup. Period. It's not much, but it happens, I'm gonna get replies from people disagreeing, but it's a fact. :)

If it's only off a little bit it's not really going to matter, but bringing the steering wheel over say from 9 oclock to 12 will move the toe about 1/8 inch.

I swear you just like to hear yourself talk sometimes.

aligning the wheel will not change the toe. you are not adjusting the wheels in or away from each other. when you adjust the sleeve (draglink) you are adjusting the wheels both in the same direction. only way to adjust the toe is by turning the sleeve on the tie rod(down by teh driver wheel)

Last edited:
if everything is straight then why not just remove the steering wheel and re-align it that way?

Lets see, remove airbag and clock spring, rent steering wheel puller and remove wheel. Press wheel back on, reinstall air bag and the what not. Yep that sounds a whole lot easier then adjusting the drag link....

lol radioshack. questiion having to do with alignment... what can i measure off of or from where to where to center my track bar? i just ordered a iron rock offroad double sheer track bar and i dont like alignment shops.

also how much toe in ? is it exact (ex 56" front to 56" rear) or is there an 1/8" toe in?

lol radioshack. questiion having to do with alignment... what can i measure off of or from where to where to center my track bar? i just ordered a iron rock offroad double sheer track bar and i dont like alignment shops.

also how much toe in ? is it exact (ex 56" front to 56" rear) or is there an 1/8" toe in?

Track bars are self centering. But to center the axle you can measure from the outside of the tires to the fenders. Toe should be between 1/16" to 1/18" less at the front of the wheel for a 231 TC and 0" for a 242 TC.

What transfer case do you have? Do you have full time 4wd option? If yes, no toe. If no, 1/8" toe in will work.

When I installed my IRO trac bar I just adjusted it 3/4" longer than stock for my RE 3.5" lift. RE states to move stock TB over 3/4" so thats where I got my nukber from. Looks centered to me. I suppose you could measure from the frame rail to wheel on either side and adjust accordingly.

Back