• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 bearings

slvrmdxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm upgrading a few parts on my C8.25 and while I have it apart I'm replacing a few stock parts as well. Two of the things I'm replacing are the bearings and seals at the ends of the axle tube. Is there any secret to installing the new bearings and more importantly, do the new bearings need to be greased before I install them, or are the bearings lubed by the diff oil? I noticed some diff fluid coming out of the ends of the axle tubes when I pulled the shafts, but the new bearings have a little bit of grease already on them as well.

Also, if the bearings do get greased, what type of grease should I use?

It's my first time replacing bearings, so thanks for any help.

The bearings are lubricated by gear oil,Removal is a bit of a trick(couple of methods available),install is straight forward.

I'd put a little grease on them to keep them from being damaged when you install the shafts, but yeah, they're lubed by the gear oil. Don't sweat it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok, so it sounds like maybe the trick to this process will be removing the old bearings. RCP, what are the available methods?

Jeeperjohn, what kind of tool am I looking for here? Is it a specialty tool I can rent? I don't feel like buying an expensive tool for a single use. I have a seal puller, but I assume that isn't gonna cut it?

Once I have the old bearings out, I assume I just tap the new ones in w/ a deadblow?

need a slide hammer and the appropriate jaws. you can rent one at a local parts store, but you may need a different piece to thread on the end. i had problems with the ones mine came with.

pull hard comes easy.

as for install, get a socket, hammer, or piece of tube thats as big as the bearings. hell anything thats flat on both sides and bash it with a hammer. install your seals, etc etc etc and away you go. hope that helps.

Back