• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

505 Perf 4.0L Turbo??

Sig Ep Mock

NAXJA Forum User
So what do you guys think about the 505 Performance Turbo set-up? Anybosy run one? I know they don't have an off the shelf kit for the Cherokee. I'm looking for some more power and don't have the time to pull off a V8 swap. I've looked at a stroked 4.6 but I'd like to get the motor into the 300ish hp range to help pull the Jeep through the sand and a turbo set-up sound slike the right direction.

I've run a Whipple S/C on another project with a Chevy 6.0L and loved the results. I think I'd like to try my hand at the turbo set-up. Keep the slow speed crawling ability but have the ump to pull in the sand with higher RPM's. Any other options out there. I'd prefer to hook-up with a more local shop/manufacturer for those weird little problems that seem to show up with these kind of projects.

Let me know what you think?

Chris

none of those kits are going to be cali-legal. not sure if you want the jeep to stay street legal or not.

I'd go stroker with nitrous for when you need a boost in the dunes, or V8 swap.

take a look at Bryson's build in the street and performance section, it came out clean and he listed every part he used with lots of pics.

none of those kits are going to be cali-legal. not sure if you want the jeep to stay street legal or not.

I'd go stroker with nitrous for when you need a boost in the dunes, or V8 swap.

Good point, I could always register it to our place in Havasu but I might get pulled over more wheneve in CA.

How much power can you get out of a good stroker motor?

Chris

300 HP is a reasonable goal for a stroker build. The torque will be much higher than that. I know RussPottenger is capable of building a top quality motor for you if he has the time. I would ask him no matter the cost.

Good info. How doe sone get in contact with Russ?

If I can get 300 HP from a stroker on 91 oct then I think that would satisfy my needs although I still like the idea of a turbo for the wow factor as long as it doesn't lose too much reliability and isn't so finiky that I spend all my time wrenching on it.

Chris

Talk to Scott (Scottysxj) also. He builds some nice strokers.......If it were me, I'd reg it in AZ and swap an LS2 in it. Aftermarket turbos are high maintenance. Boost leaks, extra piping, tuning.....lots of hassles.

After watching a bunch of the V8 swaps on here it seems like a ton of work to get them to fit. There's not much Jeep left on the back half of my Jeep, if I do a V8 swap there won't be anything left up front :)

Chris

My budget stroker with high CR and a good cam had plenty of power in the dunes. My yellow XJ climbed everything at Pismo mostly in 2wd, only used 4x4 on the really steep loose dunes with a sharp entry at the bottom. Other than just a couple dune climbs in a weekend when I needed 4wd, I ran high range 2wd and climbed everything. Part of that was the grip of 37" tires, but power was never an issue.

You'd spend some money building a real good stroker, but it would be much simpler than doing a V8 swap and would probably be cheaper, simpler, and less expensive than doing a custom turbo. A relatively budget stroker with the right parts can run real strong, like mine did.

Aftermarket turbos are high maintenance. Boost leaks, extra piping, tuning.....lots of hassles.

Not true. If you half ass it, you'll have issues. Not unlike any other kind of modification. ;)

I daily drive my turbo 4.0L and havn't had any issues. The stock low compression 4.0 loves the boost.

FWIW, the 505 turbo setup WILL NOT work with the XJ chassis.

Not true. If you half ass it, you'll have issues. Not unlike any other kind of modification. ;)

I daily drive my turbo 4.0L and havn't had any issues. The stock low compression 4.0 loves the boost.

FWIW, the 505 turbo setup WILL NOT work with the XJ chassis.

I read you thread, very impressive. Now that my XJ is an open top the A/C is kinda useless so I was thinking the turbo could fit in that space. You ever decide to start selling set-ups like your let me know I'll be first in line :)

Chris

Back