• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another quick ac question

fabjunkie

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys, I searched, but was swamped with unrelated questions..

real quick, on the back of the compressor of my 92, there are 2 valves that lead to the high and low lines, are they for flow, or just to shut off the schraeder ports??

woops sorry, I converted to 134. so youre saying they only open the connections where you hook the hoses. They don't have anything to do with flow do they?

Reason I ask is when I open the top one, I get the 134 pissing out. when I open the bottom one, nothing happens..I have 134 service ports in my new hoses, so I hooked up the gauges there.

It's been a couple years but I think they only open the flow to the service ports. So if the conversion valves are seated/ sealed properly and the Schraeder valves don't leak, it definitely shouldn't be hissing when they are opened.

Ah I see. That could be the issue, The threads on the conversion port looked real short and they were up in this recess. The good news is I should be able to keep those things shut and just hook up to the hoses like normal.

I was kinda concerned they had something to do with flow in the system, so thats a load off my mind

Thanks!!:cheers:

Even though I converted my system to 134 A I'm still running without shrader valves. I like to be able to use the metal valve caps of the original R12 system.. that way if the "service port" leaks I don't have to rely on the POS shrader valve to seal it off. BTW its "illegal" to retrofit a a vehicle to 134A and not update the valves.. But some how I've managed to stay out of jail. I do have my compressor marked "134A" though.

IIRC the valves, if turned in all the way will isolate the compressor and allow compressor change without blowing the whole system.

I may be thinking of another vehicle though, with similar looking valves....

Ok, now I'm confused again. so in addition to shutting off the old r12 ports, these valves can also be used to "cap off" the rest of the system from the compressor??

Then my next question is...which way is open?? I have them full left which in my system seemed to cut off the r12 service ports and allow system pressure as normal, is this correct??

Sweet!!!! Thanks!
btw you know what else I noticed... just for fun, they seem to be LH threaded ! HA! Someone over there really has a sense of humor...

Turn the valve rh= out!!!

Last edited:
ok guys I found a cut away pic of the valves on the back of the compressor..Just to lay this to rest, they are NOT LH threaded...

it is just as Stephanspann said above..

If you run the valves all the way out(LH) then that allows full system flow, and service ports are capped.

If you run them all the way in (rh) then that isolates the compressor from the system, no flow.

To get readings or charge the sytstem, hook up your gauges and open the valves 1/2 way. just dont forget to close them again, before unhooking the gauges.

Thanks for everyones help !

Stemvalve.jpg

Back