• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge cluster shorted need help please

Holyghost23

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i got a jump the other day but the bag of hammers crossed the jumpers and blew both my alt fuses my ecu and my guage cluster. i replace the ecu and the fuses and now my engine runs good and it drives fine but my cluster still wont work. its a 95 jeep cheerokee. fuse 17 a 7.5amp fuse keeps blowing. its the fuse that runs the guage cluster. but i have no idea where the wires run and what exactly fuse 17 runs to. a wire diagram would help greatly. plus took out the cluster and disconnected the over head compass thing and put a new fuse in but it still blows. so where would be the best place to look for the short.

Did you replace the cluster too? It's electronic also and may be burnt out.

Dunno what year you're running or if it even matters..

Try pulling the cluster out and checking the backside of it. Look for char marks, burns, melted plastic, etc...

On my '94 there's a large ribbon-strip style sheet with copper inlays. Could be somehow yours got torched. Everything in it shares a common positive and ground IIRC, so if that's messed up somehow nothing's going to work.

That's the reason my temp gauge quit working... During a previous re-install of the cluster, I nicked the sending unit inlay, so it wasn't getting the proper signal.

Back