• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ Pitman Arm?

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, got a 87 Xj with about 4.5 inches of lift. I wanted to drop my pitman arm some and I hear you can use a ZJ pitman. Any idea how much it drops the steering or what year ZJ pitman works on what year XJ? Also any opinions on aftermarket steering set ups? I've got Rustys right now and the geometry sucks on it and its not very beefy, I was thinking of going Currie or JCR, any input? Post up picks of your set up or links would be sweet!:us:

I ran the Currie for several years before selling it to a buddy when that XJ was totaled. I loved every moment of it and the angles were great. For the pitman, it drops it about 3/4" or so...but there's really no reason to mess with that unless the trackbar has changed angle. You want them to be at the same angle, ideally.

i wouldnt run anything but currie unless your going OTK. ive always liked the JCR system, but have met people with less than stoked thoughts on it. there is also the option of ZJ steering or even WJ if you score the knuckles as well.

is your track bar dropped? how soon are you planning to get a new steering setup? i would do that first... and then check your angles and correct as neccesary.

My trac bar isn't dropped yet, I wanted to get a different frame mount and switch the end on it. I've got a Rustys heavy duty adjustable trac bar but I always waste the tie rod end because the front end drops out pretty good and pivots the tie rod to far. Probably doesn't help that its not dropped so I want to correct that and switch out the tie rod end for a joint bolt as a pivot. As for my steering I know the pitman arm needs to be longer because at normal ride height the tie rod angle is pretty bad on the pitman arm and the tie rod end always wear out. I wanted to improve all the angles so my steering joints wont get wasted and worn as fast. I wanted to do over the knuckle with the JCR but I am afraid after the steering gets used a few thousand miles the way its set up that it might start rotating all the links before it can push and pull the steering. I'm trying to avoid sloppy steering dang it. So far I think the Currie looks the best bet for longevity. I just like the JCR because it looks beefy and all the tie rods are serviceable individually.

i love my currie set up! it is beefy, and the currie is set up for rigs for 6+ so it fixs some angles there, and if your worried about clearance you can always do the tie rod flip and it brings the tie rod up and gives it some good clearance, but it sounds like a pitman arm wont hurt either i heard that you can get them from any zj...

If you decide on the Currie steering you wont go wrong. Shop around and you should find a deal for around $325.
Installed the steering around 2003 in place of the stock steering and it tightened up the steering. Been very pleased with the product.

A SOCAL member purchased his for $325 from DPG Off Road (IIRC), but I purchased mine slightly used about 7 years ago for $125. Just a matter of being at the right place at the right time.

Back