• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting pretty LAME! wobble wobble

90xjsumner

NAXJA Forum User
Kay I don't think I have anything left to replace on my front end or drive train and It still wobbles pretty bad at 45 mph. I don't know what do do from here...

:dunno:

I just did wheel bearings. all pinion and axle bearings in whole housing. new adj track bar, adj lower control arms, all tie rod and tie rod ends, new shocks, new pitman arm and power steering, big bad boy steering stabilizer and new u joints. ready to wheel but cant get rid of the " somethings gonna fall off my jeep" wobble. and just had it aligned and they were impressed on how strait it is. just doesn't make sense.

are your tires aligned?

Get your tires balanced and rotate them. If that doesn't work, just trailer it to where you want to wheel. Sorry, I know the feeling, I have asked myself where the gas can and lighter is more than once.

I just did wheel bearings. all pinion and axle bearings in whole housing. new adj track bar, adj lower control arms, all tie rod and tie rod ends, new shocks, new pitman arm and power steering, big bad boy steering stabilizer and new u joints.

Ball joints?

I checked my ball joints and they where tight but you know I haven't rotated or balanced my tires for a bit. there 32 super swampers. that's probly a good thing to do before I lose my mind.

cj i was thinking the same thing... bent wheel.
:::thinking:::
90xj if you lived near me i'd offer my wheels to you to see if it fixes your DW but looks like we will have to use our noodle to try and weed out your problem.

what size wheels and tires are you running. what type are they?(tires/wheels)

you tried a road force balancing job?
did you tighten all your bolts to specs?
suspension:
UCA 55 axle- 66 frame side
LCA 133ft lbs
track bar upper mount 62 lbs
lower track bar 74 lbs
steering:
steering knuckle to axle housing balljoint stud nuts 75 lbs
pitman arm nut 185lbs
all tie rods and center links are 35 ft lbs
stablizer axle bolt 55 lbs to the drag link 35 lbs

maybe give those a once over and make sure everything is tight to spec.

idk what else could cause dw if you replaced everything

the rims are 15 inch the. when I got the jeep it was bone stock. the day I put everything on including the tires there was a slight vibration cause swampers are so off balance. I did torque everything. I think my next step is going to have to be to re balance and rotate my tires. thats a good idea and hope it makes a difference. Im on the Virge of redoing everything again. when I lay underneath and have my girl turn the wheel back and fourth everything is tight.

Just wondering... Why wouldn't you have checked the tires BEFORE replacing all that crap... Swampers aren't exactly the best riding tires.

Notice you replaced the trackbar, how's the trackbar mount on the body? Still tight? If it's stock, is the bolt-hole wallowed out, or is it still a tight fit?

Worn tyres can cause a pretty bad wobble, regular rotation helps a lot. As soon as I took my front tyres and swapped with the rear DW went away, I hadn't rotated them for a while.

Cheers
Steve

I've had good luck with dynamic ballancing of the tires. Go to WalMart and score the 5000 round white AirSoft pellets. They're labeled as heavy. Split up into 4 groups, bust the bead on the tires and pour them in.

Done this on 33 bia Swampers and smooth (as a Swamper can be) at 75mph.

I've given up on DW. For some reason, these XJ's just decide they're gonna do it. Wheeled mine for 7 years with ZERO problems. Everything completely worn out. Then last year it decided to start, and nothing has stopped it.

I quit. Going with leafs in the front. Dead simple. Robust. Not prone to DW.

I just did wheel bearings. all pinion and axle bearings in whole housing. new adj track bar, adj lower control arms, all tie rod and tie rod ends, new shocks, new pitman arm and power steering, big bad boy steering stabilizer and new u joints. ready to wheel but cant get rid of the " somethings gonna fall off my jeep" wobble. and just had it aligned and they were impressed on how strait it is. just doesn't make sense.

Already been said but is the caster correct, ball joints, tires balanced and round, rims not bent, sway bar bushings. When you installed the trackbar where the mounting bolt snug in the mounting hole, BEFORE, you tightend the nuts. If holes where wallowed out ,AT ALL, the trackbar will move and cause wobble. Did you inspect for any "frame" cracking, especialy the LCA mount and in the steering gear areas.

Back