• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 4.0 into a '00!

Stroketech

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. I'm looking to build a 4.0 to put into my '00. Its developed a pretty good knocking sound. What would it take to put a '99 or older 4.0 into a '00. In terms of dealing with the distributer vs the coil on plug setup. Do I have to do anything with the PCM?

Jon

You will need to use your old head because of the mounting bosses. I have no idea about the other stuff tho. Maybe it just uses something in place of the distributor? Maybe you can just swap that?

you'll need to figure out a mounting bracket to secure the coil rail, I was going to use a piece of sheet metal or aluminum mounted to a valve cover bolt, but found a complete 2001 motor for cheap. you should be able to remove the cam shaft sensor and install the dizzy there but I believe you'll need an old ECM for that?

also, the exhaust ports are a little different, so you'll have to either an exhaust manifold from a pre-00 vehicle or a header. Supposedly, most of the aftermarket headers for the 99-06 engines will work with the early-99 head.

I believe those were the only issues.

uhmm,how about legal issues!

uhmm,how about legal issues!
such as? You've got over 8000 posts and I haven't seen a single claim like this backed up with proof.

Emissions standards for the year vehicle are all the matters, as long as you meet those, you're good in most states. However, there have been some laws introduced that motor swaps must be from the same manufacturer (like, I couldn't replace my I-6 with a SBC 350). He'll only possibly have issues if he uses an older ECU in some areas, but not likely (except California...). There's a member in my local club with a block from one generation, a head from another and ECU from another. And passed state OBD scan + emissions inspection.

such as? You've got over 8000 posts and I haven't seen a single claim like this backed up with proof.

Emissions standards for the year vehicle are all the matters, as long as you meet those, you're good in most states. However, there have been some laws introduced that motor swaps must be from the same manufacturer (like, I couldn't replace my I-6 with a SBC 350). He'll only possibly have issues if he uses an older ECU in some areas, but not likely (except California...). There's a member in my local club with a block from one generation, a head from another and ECU from another. And passed state OBD scan + emissions inspection.

technically, in PA you cannot replace an engine with an older engine then what the vehicle had. so 99 into a 2000 is a no-no.

what inspection station will notice a 99 block in a 2000, probobly none, but none the less, its not supposed to be done.

technically, in PA you cannot replace an engine with an older engine then what the vehicle had. so 99 into a 2000 is a no-no.

what inspection station will notice a 99 block in a 2000, probobly none, but none the less, its not supposed to be done.

after further research, i cant find anything to legally suport this, as i seems to be more of a general concencious

You will need to use your old head because of the mounting bosses. I have no idea about the other stuff tho. Maybe it just uses something in place of the distributor? Maybe you can just swap that?
You don't have to swap the head, just make mounting brackets for the coil rail like whatevah said.

I want to switch to the distributer also.
Have fun... gonna have to swap the whole engine harness, manifold with older style O2 sensor setup (or use a cali ECU and harness from one of the later OBD-II years iirc) and the ECU. Easier to just make the coil rail mounting brackets and call it a day.

you'll need to figure out a mounting bracket to secure the coil rail, I was going to use a piece of sheet metal or aluminum mounted to a valve cover bolt, but found a complete 2001 motor for cheap. you should be able to remove the cam shaft sensor and install the dizzy there but I believe you'll need an old ECM for that?

also, the exhaust ports are a little different, so you'll have to either an exhaust manifold from a pre-00 vehicle or a header. Supposedly, most of the aftermarket headers for the 99-06 engines will work with the early-99 head.

I believe those were the only issues.
I think you covered pretty much everything here :thumbup:

You're missing the point. You're wrong, and he used as few characters as he could to prove it :rolleyes:

Yes, technically putting an older engine into a newer vehicle is illegal (as far as I know.) When the part numbers are the same for everything except the stuff in the head (due to the 0331 head replacing the 0630 or whichever the 91-99 HO head was, I forget) I don't see much of a problem with it, so long as you maintain the pre-cat system as designed for a 2000-up.

You don't have to swap the head, just make mounting brackets for the coil rail like whatevah said.

Have fun... gonna have to swap the whole engine harness, manifold with older style O2 sensor setup (or use a cali ECU and harness from one of the later OBD-II years iirc) and the ECU. Easier to just make the coil rail mounting brackets and call it a day.

I think you covered pretty much everything here :thumbup:

You're missing the point. You're wrong, and he used as few characters as he could to prove it :rolleyes:

Yes, technically putting an older engine into a newer vehicle is illegal (as far as I know.) When the part numbers are the same for everything except the stuff in the head (due to the 0331 head replacing the 0630 or whichever the 91-99 HO head was, I forget) I don't see much of a problem with it, so long as you maintain the pre-cat system as designed for a 2000-up.

Not all 2000's have pre-cats.

hey man i may be able to help... i just dropped a 98 4.o into a 2000 auto. i put my ax15 in there as well with the swap ... from the 2000 i have the computer, the harness that goes to the computer,tranny, electronic distributor, alternator, starter, coil and all that.... i have the electronic distributor you drop into the block....also have the long coil bar...you will need to fabricate something to mount it to the engine but that aint no thing... sounds like i got what you need....if your interested maybe we can make a sale and both gain.... gotta love how the great state of tennessee has no inspections...

i also had the exhaust manifold but sold the y joint with the two tank cat on it... still have the front and rear exhaust part that mates to the head...let me know if i can help

Back