• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92' XJ No Break Lights & No Hazzards!?

jackyl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92' XJ that since 08' has been an electric hell on wheels. But, now I'm having issues with the brake lights & hazzard lights not working. However, EVERYTHING else functions as it should.

This XJ has a underdash block like the earlier models (see image) that is missing the #6 hazzard fuse. Everything on the fuse block gives me 12v except for the flasher terminals. I'm just at a loss here, I have the bulkhead off and I did a continuity test back to the 20A fuse position in the PDC and I find that there are 3 terminals in the bulkhead that give me continuity when feeding off the 20A fuse location in the PDC. Is this correct? Should there be 4? Does anyone have a schematic of the bulkhead illustrating what each lead is for and what voltage should be there when checked?

Then, I pulled the fuse block off the firewall under the dash and started to check the continuity of each one of the spots where the bulkhead plugs into.

I'm just at a loss here. Oh, and before I did all this, I checked for 12v at the brake pedal switch (6 wire version) and it was dead.

I'm really open to any suggestions. However, I've been trying to fix this for about a month now. And I'm tried a wide assortment of remedies.

Also, I am NOT apposed to getting that 6 wire switch out of there and running a 2 wire brake switch. Since, I swapping in a AX-15, I don't use cruise and the natorious aw4 N/P Switch is not there.

Thanks!

4643427636_f1958949f8_b.jpg

Seems like I forgot to totally list what my XJ is,

1992 Cherokee
4.0 HO
AX-15 (oringally had AW4)
NP231 (with SYE)
CAI
Bored TB
3" Pro Comp
2" poly spacers
3" superjacker springs
1.75" shackles
Rotten floorboards :(

I octachecked the underhood harness just now. I probed from the 20A fuse in the PDC to find out what terminals in the bulkhead connector showed continuity. And there is 5 of them. I cross referenced this with a mint 93' Harness that I have and it is the same 5 terminals that show continuity.

I have checked the only schematic that I have, which is 12-24 in the Haynes manual that I have. And this schematic shows that there is a pnk wire that comes from the 20A in the PDC and feeds the hazzard relay. However, I have my undersash block apart and there is a blk/brn going to one terminal and two pnk/blk wires that go into the other terminal. And as far as I can see all three of these wires feed into the harness that is under the dash.

If someone has a proper schematic for my situation I would be gratefull!

I'm at a standstill here. I don't know what else to check or do.

Last edited:
I got it!

There was a smaller spade terminal in the bulkhead connector that the wire had corroded away from. I replaced that with one from a spare bulkhead that I have (second time using that spare) and all is good! Brake lights work and so do the hazzard lights.

I found this wire by first back tracing the pnk/blk wire that all the schematics said fed 12v to the hazzard relay and brake switch. So I checked from the backside of the fuseblock (using a spade with one lead of the multimeter) and then probed the one leg of the hazzard terminal that had the two blk/pnk wires in it and the blk/pnk wire on the brake switch harness. And it checked out for continuity. So, I then I checked on the bulkhead to see what that wire was as it did not check out for continuity when I checked my 93' harness and made my bulkhead schematic. I switched the leg position of the 20A fuse in the PDC and then I got continuity on that wire that I replaced.

So, lesson that I have learned: "If your XJ is 94' or older and you get weird electrical problems, check the bulkhead connector for wires that have corroded off their terminal".

Now, to work on replacing that leaky clutch master cylinder and deleteing that A/C that is always in my way!!

Back