• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

does a compressor or fan clutch give a warning?

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 4.0L 6cyl auto trans!

I have a noise that kind of sounds like something is rubbing slightly ir brushing on something, but it eventually stops. It makes the noise when I first start it up even if I ran it for the day already.
The noise is coming from the compressor or fan clutch area.
So i was wondering if any of the said parts makes a noise before they fail
Or if not does any body got an idea on what i should be looking at.

Yes, no, maybe?

Grab yourself some vinyl tubing, about 3 feet of it, 1/2" ID or less. Stick one end in your ear, move the other end around the engine until you can isolate the source.

Usual warnings about moving pulleys, belts, loose clothing and skin.

Don't forget to check the harmonic balancer, when the rubber goes it will move around and rub the timing cover.

Yes, no, maybe?

Grab yourself some vinyl tubing, about 3 feet of it, 1/2" ID or less. Stick one end in your ear, move the other end around the engine until you can isolate the source.

Usual warnings about moving pulleys, belts, loose clothing and skin.

Don't forget to check the harmonic balancer, when the rubber goes it will move around and rub the timing cover.

what or where is the harmonic balancer?

what or where is the harmonic balancer?

Big circular thing attached to the front of the crankshaft with a bolt. It is made in two pieces, then bonded together with a rubber compound. It balances harmonic vibrations from the crankshaft--the bonded rubber between the pieces does that.

getimage.php

ok so I'll get on it soon as I can. I gotta work for the next 2 days, i think i get off thursday so Ill do it then and get back to you!!

Back