• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear main is spraying oil everywhere?HELLLP!

troys 96 xj

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to ask this but I don't have 3 days to research it.I replaced it 2 months ago and has been fine and completely dry.I was driving on the highway when I saw smoke pouring out .I pulled over and there was oil litteraly spraying out at the inspection cover.What would cause it to blow already?Any help would be great.Is it something I did? Can I reuse the oilpan gasket I just put on it.It's the good all rubber one with metal that runs along the long sides of the pan.I don't want to spend another $30 on that gasket if i don't have to.Someone said the PCV could be plugged and caused it to blow.Can it do that?HELP,I need to get it running ASAP.It's a 96 4.0 XJ.

1. CCV, not a PCV system--no valve, just a metered orifice.

2. I doubt it would be "spraying" all over the place from a plugged CCV.

3. You most likely tore or cut the rear main seal upper during installation OR the RTV at the corners didn't take.

4. Yes, you should have no problem re-using the pan gasket.

5. Did you use the double-lip Fel-Pro RMS?

6. Did you use silicone spray to lubricate the upper RMS for insertion?

I bought the 2 lip felpro and I used liquid soap on the seal to lube it cuz thats what the instructions with the seal said to use.I got it home and it isn't leaking at all now.WTF.What do you think?

I bought the 2 lip felpro and I used liquid soap on the seal to lube it cuz thats what the instructions with the seal said to use.I got it home and it isn't leaking at all now.WTF.What do you think?

How is the oil level?

I would expect spraying from a bad oil filter, bad OFA o-rings, the pressure gauge/light sending unit or its right-angle adapter.

Do you have an automatic? They can get hot and puke out of the dipstick tube or the cooler lines will rust through/quick disconnects might leak.

Check the CCV system, the filtered air input to the front of th valve cover, the metered orifice in the rear of the valve cover, the line to the intake manifold and the vacuum port in the manifold. Again, I wouldn't expect the spraying you described from the CCV.

Check the tightness of the oil pan bolts.

Post up what you find.

For cleaning up a mess like that I use 50/50 Simple Green with tap water, in a cheapo pump-type garden sprayer. Spray it, let sit about 20-30 minutes and then GENTLY hose it off--avoid using pressure on the electrical components ESPECIALLY the TPS on the throttle body.

How is the oil level?

I would expect spraying from a bad oil filter, bad OFA o-rings, the pressure gauge/light sending unit or its right-angle adapter.

Do you have an automatic? They can get hot and puke out of the dipstick tube or the cooler lines will rust through/quick disconnects might leak.

Check the CCV system, the filtered air input to the front of th valve cover, the metered orifice in the rear of the valve cover, the line to the intake manifold and the vacuum port in the manifold. Again, I wouldn't expect the spraying you described from the CCV.

Check the tightness of the oil pan bolts.

Post up what you find.

For cleaning up a mess like that I use 50/50 Simple Green with tap water, in a cheapo pump-type garden sprayer. Spray it, let sit about 20-30 minutes and then GENTLY hose it off--avoid using pressure on the electrical components ESPECIALLY the TPS on the throttle body.
It's an auto.I checked the valve cover,freeze plug,ccv,vac system,filter and housing,dip stick,oil pan bolts and cooler lines.Everything is dry but the bell housing.It was comming out of the inspection plate.I can't get it to leak at all now.I ran it for an hour and still nothing leaking.I can't explain it.I don't do drugs and I have'nt drank in 2 days ,so it's not that.There is oil on the tc and tranny pan from it spraying though.It's deffinatly not tranny fluid.I'm stummped.Why would it spray then not leak at all?

When you figure yours out let me know. I went to Pittsburg last weekend and on the highway it just started running oil on to the exhaust. It was bad enough that it was getting on the rear hatch while driving. So I put rms,ofa and valve cover. The valve cover was the leaking the worse. At the rear of the gasket. I could see oil running on the top and bottom of the gasket. Btw mine is a 97 with 195,000. No more leaks all dry. I used all crown replacement parts.

I don't understand how oil could spray out the rear main; it isn't under any pressure there. Isn't there a slinger on the crank between the rear bearing and the seal? I could see it POURING out... Well, maybe it could run out and get on the output shaft and get flung off it?

Don't feel too bad. When I changed my rear main on my last XJ, I just made it worse too.

I don't understand how oil could spray out the rear main; it isn't under any pressure there. Isn't there a slinger on the crank between the rear bearing and the seal? I could see it POURING out... Well, maybe it could run out and get on the output shaft and get flung off it?

I thought the same thing.:sure:

It's not doing it any more for some reason.I don't understand it.I drove it about 6 to 7 miles and ran it for about 1.5 hours in the driveway and it won't leak now.WTF?Anyone ever hear of this?

let me know what you find, I just replaced mine. started engine within seconds old looking oil had a mini stream going down the inspection cover for the auto trans. followed instructions to the letter as it was first I have done sense high school.

maybe I should run it a little longer? didn't think that was a good idea at the time.

A couple years ago, on the way to Moab, my 98 XJ started billowing smoke, similar to what you described. I thought for sure that my rear main was leaking. I was ready to turn around to go home when I noticed that it had stopped smoking.

I met up with FordGuy en route and as he followed me, my Jeep did the same smoking act twice more. But that was it for the whole trip. Didn't do it at all on the return leg.

Long story short, it was gear oil coming out the front diff breather tube onto the exhaust. And since the tube is secured right above the bellhousing, it may appear to be coming from there.

I forget exactly WHY it was doing this, but MJR said that it was a common thing.

If your Jeep is 2WD...then never mind. ;)

Had a similar problem on the vent line for my transfercase...
After the installation of the TeraLow 4:1; oil vapor would come from the vent breather.
Installed a metal gas line filter in the vent line to act as an accumulator.
Any collected oil vapor drains back into the tcase once the vehicle has stopped.

you sure it was engine oil or transmission oil? the AW4 is known to puke fluid now and then... They are a good trans but tend to run hot. ATF expands quite a bit and can puke out the vent, which, IIRC is in the bellhousing.

Check your trans fluid level and condition. I don't expect it to be low but might be overfull.

Also, an overheating trans can be an indicator that the engine cooling system is not far behind... dirty radiator...inside and/or out... rinsing off the cooling fins may be all it needs.

you sure it was engine oil or transmission oil? the AW4 is known to puke fluid now and then... They are a good trans but tend to run hot. ATF expands quite a bit and can puke out the vent, which, IIRC is in the bellhousing.

Check your trans fluid level and condition. I don't expect it to be low but might be overfull.

Also, an overheating trans can be an indicator that the engine cooling system is not far behind... dirty radiator...inside and/or out... rinsing off the cooling fins may be all it needs.
Absolutely positive it is motor oil.100 percent without a doubt.It still hasn't leaked again.I can't figure it out.I guess I'll drive it til something happens to it cuz I don't know what else to do.

Back