• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Read diff logic? Or stupid human trick

matttaylor1976

NAXJA Forum User
Am i wrong here? I have a D35 with an open carrier and 3.55 gears. I just acquired a limited slip carrier with 3.55 gears.

My logic goes like this: i can swap the carriers and not have to redo my gear setup, simply because i wont be messing with the pinion at all. My understanding is that since the carrier doesn't have any shims, it should be a straight swap, or am i nuts?

if you are re-using your own ring gear you might be able to get away with it, but I would have them re set up just to be sure. the wear pattern will be set for that gear and that carrier, if the new carrier is different by even a few thousandths it will throw the pattern off, causing noise at the least and heat and problems at worst.

A few problems...
* the carrier does have shims (they're between the bearings and the carrier)
* R&P gear sets are matched, you should never mix a pinion from one with a ring from another, you'll never get a good pattern especially with used sets

What you CAN do is swap your original ring gear onto the LS carrier and then replace the carrier bearings and redo the carrier shim setup only. Doing the carrier setup only will be easier than having to set both up as you will already have the pinion at the right depth.

However, it's a 35, I would not put that kind of work into it. I just went through this same quandary with mine, since I have an LS carrier sitting in my passenger seat right now... it's not worth it if you are going to be running any kind of oversize tires. Find a 97 or later 8.25 with 3.55s and limited slip, throw it in, call it a day.

A few problems...
* the carrier does have shims (they're between the bearings and the carrier)
* R&P gear sets are matched, you should never mix a pinion from one with a ring from another, you'll never get a good pattern especially with used sets

What you CAN do is swap your original ring gear onto the LS carrier and then replace the carrier bearings and redo the carrier shim setup only. Doing the carrier setup only will be easier than having to set both up as you will already have the pinion at the right depth.

However, it's a 35, I would not put that kind of work into it. I just went through this same quandary with mine, since I have an LS carrier sitting in my passenger seat right now... it's not worth it if you are going to be running any kind of oversize tires. Find a 97 or later 8.25 with 3.55s and limited slip, throw it in, call it a day.

So if i swap the ring gear to the new carrier, and replace the shims, i should be ok? Assuming the pattern looks good? This is my first time messing with gears, and i figure since i dont have to touch the pinion at all, it will be a good learning experience.

I have no intention of running the turdy5 for long. Once my GF blows up her motor i have an 8.25 with 4.11's and an lsd. So for now this will do.

I would say you have less than a 50/50 chance of not having to do a setup on the gears.

Yukon or Nitro has a nice video on gear setup, and Harbor Freight is a good source for the tools you will need.

I would say you have less than a 50/50 chance of not having to do a setup on the gears.

Yukon or Nitro has a nice video on gear setup, and Harbor Freight is a good source for the tools you will need.

Thanks, i think i'm going to go for it. If nothing else, i can put the original setup back in with little effort. The payoff is more traction, the downside is a :repair:

Am i wrong here? I have a D35 with an open carrier and 3.55 gears. I just acquired a limited slip carrier with 3.55 gears.

My logic goes like this: i can swap the carriers and not have to redo my gear setup, simply because i wont be messing with the pinion at all. My understanding is that since the carrier doesn't have any shims, it should be a straight swap, or am i nuts?
Dont bother,you cant mix gearsets!

What you'll need -

* new carrier bearings
* new ring gear bolts
* new carrier shim assortment
* GOOD micrometer/vernier calipers
* GOOD dial indicator
* gear marking compound
* setup bearings for carrier

Take a pattern before touching anything (take shafts out though), install ring gear on carrier using new ring gear bolts, set the gears up (will involve shims, setup bearings, heck, nearly everything), put new bearings and stuff on, make sure your carrier bearing preload and backlash are within spec and that you have an acceptable pattern. I still think it's probably not worth the time.

Good advice from everyone. Measure backlash before you take it apart and try to match it when shimming. I think you realize the shim combo on the new carrier could be different than what have now, right?

Back