• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar question (stuck)

suprbst

NAXJA Forum User
So I was working on putting new springs on the front of my 2000 XJ limited and attempted to take the trackbar loose @ the lower eye bushing where it connects to the axle. I figured that would be easiest, as it did not involved removing a cotter pin from the castle nut on the body side. I have the front end fully drooping (supporting the body @ the frame rails with jack stands). Like this:

4715751648_890059c0a5_b.jpg

I ended up using a spring compressor to make the springs fit in, so I'm trying to get the lower trackbar bushing bolt back into place. The problem I had trying to take it out was that it seemed like the trackbar was short and pulling toward the driver's side, thereby cocking the bolt slightly in the hole. I stopped trying to pull it out @ the outside of the mounting bracket on the axle because I did not want to yank the threads of the bolt past the bracket & damage the threads. At this point, I'm pretty sure I can get the bolt back in through the other side of the bracket, but there still seems to be lateral pressure on the trackbar and I'm not sure why. Any suggestions as to why it would not be lining up just right? Is it because the axle is hanging free by the springs/shocks now, and do I need to put it back on the ground or jack up the axle to allow the trackbar to fit more naturally into its mounting bracket?

Thanks in advance!

Put the tires on, remove the jack-stands, lower jeep, have a friend turn the steering wheel a little in one direction or another. This will cause the body to move over the axle untli you get it to where the bolt will go in/out easily.

I dig the license plate :thumbup:

I'd put some antiseize on the threads of the bolt (or in the threads of the nut) before reassembling. Won't solve your problem, but will make things easier next time!

Yeah, might do anti-seize on the bolt shaft, too, where it goes through the metal part of the bushing. It's definitely getting replaced in a couple years when I am ready to go big on the lift.

Back