• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble???

jeepindavis

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, guys. I've searched the posts for fixing the problem, but I'm not sure if it's the problem I'm experiencing. Here's the thing...

I'm running a '98 sport with RE 3.5 plus a 1.5 eco lift, approximate total of about 5". Tires are metric equivalent of 31's on stock rims. I've recently installed a 242 replacing my 231. No problems. Then, I ripped the axles out of my donor and installed the front in my jeep (it's an auto, mine's a manual and I wanted the taller gears and I'm converting the rear to disk brakes and putting in a limited slip). I have an adjustable JKS track bar, good tires (well balenced), the vehicle is within aligment specs and well maintained.

Anyway, here's the issue. There's a small bridge on a back country road that I drive across getting to work. Every time I hit it at about 50mph, the front end shimmys around and wobbles. Every time I hit it, it seems to get worse. It only did it on that bridge, at that speed. However, it is starting to do it if I hit the right kind of bumps at the right speed. THere's really no way to stop it once it starts wobbling. All I can do is take my foot off the gas and let the vehicle slow down until the wobble stops.

Is this the legendary death wobble?

A mechicanic friend of mine thinks a steering stabilizer will remedy the problem.

The last change I made was installing the front axle - I don't have the front shaft in cause of the different gear ratios front and rear. Everything seems tight. What do you think?

To answer your question, Yes, this is the legendary death wobble.
My friends Jeep wobbles all over the place when hitting a bump at 55, until he puts the 31's on. Then, wobble goes away. Both sets of tires/wheels are balanced. Uneven tire wear may be the trigger in his case.

id def check the steering stabilizer. after i punctured mine i just took it off and drove that way till the new OME unit came in (stupid i know but whatever)...anyways whenever i hit a bump just right at about 50-55 the front would start shakin around like a strippers ass and wouldnt stop until i let off the gas and slowed to about 30-35....track bar also as many many people have reported their track bar bushings as the culprit too

Last edited:
5" of lift w/o DB's or LA's isn't helping matters.

A steering stab. Won't cause wobble.....it will just cover up the real cause. Have a friend turn the steering wheel back and fourth while you check for play in the front end.

Anything with the most miniscule amount of play in the front end, including a worn out steering stabilizer, will cause DW... Also, anytime you do anything that might change the alignment, including spring spacers, will contribute to that issue as well...

A steering stabilizer will not cause death wobble its basically just a shock absorber for your steering it hides wobble it wont cause it or fix it. If you just swapped in a new front axle retighten every nut and bolt that holds it in, your supposed to after the first 500miles anyway just like when you install a lift or any suspension part really

A steering stabilizer will not cause death wobble its basically just a shock absorber for your steering it hides wobble it wont cause it or fix it.

MANY would dissagree with you on that one, people dont run stabilizer for the bling.

if it 'HIDES' the death wobble, and you never experience it again, i'd say it fixed it! lets not get too theoretical.

5" of lift w/o DB's or LA's isn't helping matters.

I understand LA=long arms, but what's a DB?, and sure, you're right about LA's but whose got a grand laying around to do that? I was lucky to get away with what I got...I do apreciate the advice - too little time and even less coin. Curious about th DB's though...

i picked up a set of rough country DB's and braces for 100 bucks a few weeks ago. ull get just as much flex from DB's as u will LA's its just a matter of shock length since ur coil can only separate from the isolater so far befor its too much. also i agree with xmc that if the steering stabilizer "hides" it then no more wobble ur good to go. if its just a little worn tre or a poorly worn tire if its gone its gone and ur back to happy driving

you're right about LA's but whose got a grand laying around to do that?

people who planned their builds? theres an entire range of economic situations on this board, most people know their limits... except you it seems.
SOUNDS like you shouldve left it stock, if you cant afford the proper things to make it drive O.K. with a lifted suspension.

we know shits expensive, you dont have to tell us. SOME OF US, thought about this, and run less than 5.5 inches of lift, while others shoot for the moon, then bitch about all the parts they need. at 5.5, short arms arent good enough, pay up.

ok, I have a DW question...my 2000 Cherokee is STOCK, and i am experiencing it as mentioned in the above posts...would I check all things mentioned?...or is there more of a direct route for me to take since its stock.
thanks

JACKO

On the DW debate, when my Jeep was stock it had the same problem. Mine did it going over pot holes or coming back onto pavement from dirt roads and similar situations. I checked my entire front end and it was the steering stabilizer. I'd suggest doing that. And if you're tires are larger than stock, you should replace it to a stronger one as it is IMO.

As far as the LA/DB and 5 inches of lift, I have about 5" lift on stock arms and no LAs or DBs. Yeah the ride is rough But it doesnt bother me enough to warrant the immediate upgrade of either. If I happen to find someone selling eiter for a steal then I'd jump on it, untill then I can live witht he ride, to me it's like a SYE, some people live with a little vibrations, others start to feel it and think they HAVE to have it on a 2" BB. It's what ever you can live with if you ask me.

When I experienced DW on a stock XJ, it was tire related. First Aligned and Balanced but it didn't go away. While the tires looked OK, they were old, and apparently the belts were starting to separate. The PO had already done shocks, etc. This was the mild kind of DW that you could push through.

I run with plenty of guys with trail rigs, proper steering geometry and no stabilizer and they can run at highway speeds without DW.

While a steering stabilizer may hide mild DW and effectively fix it, there is some underlying issue which may rear it's head later. . .

As far as the screaming-white-knuckled-paranoia-inducing DW on a lifted Jeep, I align, rotate, balance, then deal with caster angles.

Back