• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing TRE's and more.

Highway XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Going to be replacing the TRE's and just wondering,,,, is it OK to use a pickle fork to remove the TRE at the pitman arm? A factory front skid makes it almost not possible to use a puller there. Is the the ball joint on the drag link at the right knuckle replaceable? can't find them. I really just want to R&R the steering stabilizer but the factory skid makes it impossible to remove the tapered pin in the drag link while on.

When removing TREs from the steering knuckles or the pitman arm I generally loosen the castle nut, but donot remove and then tap on the surface of the knuckle or pitman with a large ball pean or small sledge.
This shocks the surface and causes the taper of TRE to slip out of the hole once the castle nut is removed.

Yeah, take the skid off, do your work, and reinstall it when you're done. Mine comes off everytime I do front-end work. It's the price you pay for having it

As for your questions... I had to use a pickle fork to separate the drag link from the tie rod and tore up the grease boot, but the joint survived and it's actually in use right now. Before you do that though, put the castle nut back on as thread protector and try tapping on the top to see if the TRE will fall out.

The other side of the drag link is the "long" TRE. It's available wherever you bought the short TRE.

that's the long TRE

951412.jpg

Try Auto Zone loaner tool OEM 27022, tie rod separator. It looks like a pitman arm puller but is a bit smaller. Works great.

What about the ball at the wheel end of the drag link?
It's 1 piece, called the long Tie rod end.

It is OK to use pickle fork at the pitman arm. Try wacking it with a hammer first. I use 2 hammer and hit opposite sides at the same time, tres usually just drop out, if they don't resort to the fork.

I thought the long TRE is the drag link. OK, I get it, not able to R&R the ball joint at the knuckle end of the long TRE. here comes the fork.

I usually use my 3/8" ratchet as a punch... put the butt end of the handle on the end of the threaded stud, give it a solid whack on the other end with a 4lb hand sledge and it just drops right out. I don't like using a pickle fork on anything I'm going to reuse and half the time the darn fork is harder to use than the ratchet-punch trick anyways.

Back