• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Add a hockey puck or extended bumpstop?

BlueCuda

NAXJA Forum User
I just went from 33s to 35s and need to bumpstop and trim just a little bit.

Looking at the picture below would you add a puck or get a longer bumpstop or both? I am leaning towards adding a puck to it.
36425_1142699625669_1772821841_276123_4063444_n.jpg

Looks like I will need trim my bumper back a little as well. Its amazing how much difference 1" of radius can make.

37331_1142321096206_1772821841_275108_5417249_n.jpg

37331_1142322096231_1772821841_275110_248913_n.jpg

I am currently running an RE 5.5" lift and I need a stiffer front spring to make the rear work a little more. Any opinions on which ones?

And yes I also need a new lug nut :D.

Last edited:
If you are using the RE 5.5" springs for the XJ; you should be able to go with the RE 4.5" springs for the ZJ which should provide you about the same lift and be a little stiffer.
The hockey pucks would be the cheaper way to go to decrease the amount of the tire that stuffs into the wheel well.
Do some measuring, but you may need more than a 1" hockey puck.

What's up with the arc of those springs?

Its arced like that because the axle side isn't level and its stuffed in there. I never have been able to flex it out where I could crawl around and check out how everything looked. That springs looks like it wants out lol.

what kinda tracbar? it shouldnt look that bowed. try adjusting it back.

as far as pucks vs extended bumps, i prefer a mixture of both.

RE HD trac bar axle is dead center.

How could it not look that bowed? Look at the angle of the axle, that is at full compresion. The spring pad is at an angle and the spring is mounted to that.

Looks right to me.

RE HD trac bar axle is dead center.

How could it not look that bowed? Look at the angle of the axle, that is at full compresion. The spring pad is at an angle and the spring is mounted to that.

I've used a 3" bump stop but I found that anything longer rubs the inside of the spring when you're cycling the suspension. That's where the pucks come in handy. I ran 3" extended bumpstop and 2 pucks epoxied to the spring bucket for about 5 or 6 inch lift on ol blue. Lots of trimming and no rubbing.

So if I were to add two hockey pucks what would be the best way to attach them. Those two bump stops are about the only thing on this jeep I haven't removed or replaced since I got it 7 years ago. I guess those bolts are threaded into the spring pad?

Back