• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ wont start in "PARK"

BumbleBee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,

I have a 1996 XJ (classic) 4.0lt

Wife drove it today and called me up to shops to rescue her :repair: . The car would not start in park ! , after wiggling the shifter back and forth I would hear it crank and finally pushed it forward and she fired up (the xj that is ) .

Any thoughts boys ?

I'm in Oz btw....

Regs Rob

Its a easy fix and all XJ's will do it sooner than later. On the passenger side of the transmission there is a "Range Sensor" or neutral safety switch. It tells the ecu wher the gear lever is positioned.
Here is a write up on the fix. Just remember, the little arm that sweeps back and forth has a contact, under that contact are little springs. Make sure you pull that out and clean everything really well.

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_neutral_safety_switch/index.html

I did mine about a week ago... some elec. contact cleaner, Dielectric grease, and some light sandpaper or emery board to clean the contacts. Hardest part was cutting the zip ties. to adjust it. I put it in reverse with the key on, since it also controls your reverse lights when the lights come on, bolt her down. Should be good to go!

Back