• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pressure regulator

'96XJcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I am putting a fuel cell in my XJ but the problem is the fuel pressure regulator is attached to the fuel pump on 96 model XJs only. Im not using an in-tank pump but an external electric fuel pump so i have to figure out what to do with the regulator.

Could i run a FPR in line and if so can i use the stock one? Or if it has to be different does anybody know of a good one to use?

Get a fuel filter for an 03 grand cherokee 4.0 it has a built in regulator to 59 psi or so and has 3 lines on it 1-for the fuel rail 1-for the return to the tank and one from the fuel pump-just cap off the return line at the fuel rail-or do like i did and use a returnless fuel rail from i believe 99 up 4.0 done!

at auto zone part number Part Number:FF832Weight:0.808 lbsManufacturer:Champion Laboratories, Inc.Outside Diameter:2.15 in. (55 mm.)Inlet:0.31 in. (8 mm.)Outlet:0.38 in. (10 mm.)Height:6.80 in. (173 mm.)
has quick connect fittings-just use the fittings and high pressure fuel hose and clamps

Last edited:
does the returnless fuel rail not need a regulator? Also, i already have an external electric pump so i was wondering if i could just stick a fuel pressure regulator in line?

does the returnless fuel rail not need a regulator? Also, i already have an external electric pump so i was wondering if i could just stick a fuel pressure regulator in line?
the returnless line is for an internal in tank fuel pressure regulator as in your xj system ---but the 03 grand cherokee has an external one built into the fuel filter-thats what i have
its real easy it to do plus if the regulator goes bad - you can find them almost anywhere-just get a fuel filter regulator assembly for the 03 grand- no aftermarket hard to find performance regulator if it goes bad--- all stock parts!!

thanks markaboo929 i guess since i have to get a new filter any ways, i can just drill a hole and install a return line fitting in the fuel cell and hook it up so i have fuel return...think that'll work?

sure will - if you all ready have the returnless system-- all set and super easy for you!! just run one from the pump to filter one to the tank(return) and one to the fuel rail-- I believe it also has the inlet and outlet return etched on pump! the single one on the filter goes to the rail i believe and the side with two lines go to the tank - 1 return 1 from the pump.

sure will - if you all ready have the returnless system-- all set and super easy for you!! just run one from the pump to filter one to the tank(return) and one to the fuel rail-- I believe it also has the inlet and outlet return etched on pump! the single one on the filter goes to the rail i believe and the side with two lines go to the tank - 1 return 1 from the pump.
I can go look real quick to confirm-----hold on

No problem it has been in use since 2004-no issues replaced it once last year pressure went a little low-thats when you need to change it! you will see how easy it really is.........

Back