• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computerless A/T?

Yes. Unplug the TCU, shift manually--OR--unplug TCU, operate solenoids with toggles.

Im thinking just putting in a A/T in place of my BA10 But shifting it manually to keep from getting and installing all the eletronics

I have read the AW4 doesnt run 2nd gear when the TCU is disconected

TCU disconnected you get 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D, reverse, neutral, park. No OD/torque converter lockup.

As said, you can wire it up with toggles to get all the gears and converter lockup. There is the Baha Shifter, and Montana Fab makes another, and you can DIY with toggles from Radio Shack.

Is there a Manual Valve body for the AW4? I need an easy swap and I want my fiancee to be able to drive the jeep when she wants to. But she cant drive a stick. I geuss I will have to teach her at some point :)

If you search on "AW4 manumatic" you find out about using switches to shift.

In order to run an automatic without electronics, you need to get one from an '80 up FSJ, AMC Eagle, or YJ and a 23 spline input for your transfercase... You will need to get a harmonic balancer that has the CPS setup on it from someone like Novak or Advanced Adaptors... You will have to call either company, they don't have them listed on the websites, but I know they make them. I was looking into doing this swap a couple months ago in my Renix MJ with a BA10/5...

Back