• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock rear hitch

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so this might be a really stupid question.... Cherokid has offered up his rear hitch to me and he's having problems removing it. I myself have never done this or seen how to do so. I think his is an 89 if that matters? He doesn't nood to remove the gas tank does he? Guess he's having trouble getting the torx bolts out with a ratchet. Any help will do. Even if i went up there to do it, what would i need . He's about an 1 1/2 drive from my house and would hate to be unprepared.. Thanks

I just removed one from a 2000 and really hit the bolts with the PB Blaster for several days. If you can remove the bumper and spray from the top of the nutstrip that will really help. Ended up using a 24" breaker bar with a swivel head to finally move them. Found out that Loctite was also used on the threads. But then again it was an aftermarket (DrawTite) hitch that I was swapping for one with OEM dimensions that tucks the receiver fairly close to the bottom of the bumper.

Carefully applied torque will be your friend.

1-Never seen torx used for a hitch before
2-No need to remove the tank
3-Bust/cut/grind the bolts and get/make some new nut-strips

Back