• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfering a vehicle to wa

AIbandit

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My mustang is running great now so I'm bringing it up. It's an 89 and smog won't be required this year.

Will they make me smog it anyway because it's a new vehicle in WA
Or will they give me tags until next year?

I've got to know before I go in since it's not registered in Cali right now either so I wouldn't be able to drive it up.

last i knew you have to smog anything the first time in, unless it is 30 years old. so even though it is an odd year car, you will have to smog it in even years if you register it this year.

Bring it up here to Oak Harbor. No emissions. Walk in and sign paperwork. Matter of fact I'll swing by the DMV and check. Gonna be out running errands anyhow.

Bring it up here to Oak Harbor. No emissions. Walk in and sign paperwork. Matter of fact I'll swing by the DMV and check. Gonna be out running errands anyhow.

you have to have an Addy in the areas that don't check IIRC.

Make sure that you go to one of those places in the minimalls, not the actual DMV. The places that arent actual state agencies ask much less questions and make it much easier on the owner

Besides the emissions check, isn't there still a State Patrol inspection or did they do away with that? When I brought my first XJ here I had to take it to State Patrol so they could scan the code inside the front door and verify VIN, along with a quick look at the Jeep and it's safety features. Once that was done I had my emission check done and went back to licensing to get my new plates.

Besides the emissions check, isn't there still a State Patrol inspection or did they do away with that? When I brought my first XJ here I had to take it to State Patrol so they could scan the code inside the front door and verify VIN, along with a quick look at the Jeep and it's safety features. Once that was done I had my emission check done and went back to licensing to get my new plates.
nope.... budget cuts i'm assuming have all but done away with this. not positive but i think the only time state patrol looks at it is when it has been totaled and rebuilt or if there is a question about legality...

nope.... budget cuts i'm assuming have all but done away with this. not positive but i think the only time state patrol looks at it is when it has been totaled and rebuilt or if there is a question about legality...

Thank God we have funding for all those highway projects though!

I just brought my Fleet back from AZ to WA. The 98 XJ and 2004 Chrysler did not need emissions because they only test every other year, and 2010 is the year they test ODD year vehicles. My 89 YJ has tags good through the early next year and I don't drive it to work, so it'll stay on AZ plates until January. My 99 Ford needs to be tested as will my 2005 Motorhome when I bring it up in a few weeks.

Well I got it transferred to WA and they didn't need emissions.

They also left my Ex girlfriend on the title... She purchased it for me while I was in Iraq. She also made it Her name OR my Name. Which works in California. They said in Washington they don't recognize OR...

So now I have to find this chick I haven't talked to in 4 years and convince her to sign this after I dumped 1000's into it...

anyone know a way out of this or do I have to contact her?

you could check into the rules for filing lost title. say she sold it to you and didn't have the title. i believe as long as it's not reported stolen they won't ask any questions.

nope just went on the website and you can't do that without having a form signed by both registered owners and notorized. you could just do up a bill of sale releasing her interest in the truck and sign her name on the title for her. but the 100% legal way would be to contact her as far as i know. you could call the DMV and tell them you don't know where she is or how to reach her and ask them what to do thats prolly your best bet.

i'll sign her name... or you could find a totaled one and take a pic and say you need her to sign off on it to scrap it....

you could find a totaled one and take a pic and say you need her to sign off on it to scrap it....
I think this is the plan if she starts asking questions.
I doubt she'll shit on me I just would prefer not to take the risk.

I think this is the plan if she starts asking questions.
I doubt she'll shit on me I just would prefer not to take the risk.
i like my first suggestion better, she will never know the difference as she put the OR on the title... but it's your call.

Can you get it retitled in CA without the "or" (maybe have the names swapped if they won't take her name off it) and then switch it to WA?

Back