• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ax15 to aw4 swap

Fitz4238

NAXJA Forum User
I am preparing to swap my 1996 XJ AX15 trans for a 1997 XJ AW4 trans. Besides the computer module that mounts under the dash (small metal box) What wiring do I need to get from the 97 for my 96? Thanks

1996 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0 L , Manual AX-15 trans, Rear / Chrysler 8.25 with 4.10s, Front / Dana 30 with 4.10s, 5.5” Rubicon Express lift w/ 33s and many other mods

To do an OEM level install you need:
* instrument panel wiring harness for a 96 auto, I think (installing this will require pulling the dash)
* ECU (you need one for a 96)
* TCU (you need one for a 96)
* possibly engine wiring harness and/or transmission/O2/transfer case wiring harnesses for a 96

Sadly enough changed from 96 to 97 that you won't be able to use most of the harnesses from the 97 in the swap. Fortunately they made over a quarter million 96s, mostly autos, so finding them in junkyards is very easy.

Fortunately since you're going from manual to auto, you have a lot more latitude to do a custom install and make things easy on yourself. The ECU isn't expecting to talk to a TCU so it won't matter if you link the two together or do a full OEM-level install. All you need to do is get a 91-97 TCU, wire it appropriately to the solenoids, TPS, NSS, and output speed sensor, and wire the NSS leads for the reverse lights and P/N switch to the reverse lights and the clutch safety switch, respectively.

any interest in swapping t case input gears? I have a 97 auto t case, I wanted to swap a manual input gear so i could put it behind an ax15, I'll trade you for the input gear from your t case and cover shipping both ways.

Far as I know, the input gears on the TC are the same... are you talking about the speedo gear maybe?

The gears on the np231 input actually do vary a bit HERE you can see how. the gear cuts are the same, of course spline count inside the input gear can vary, but in this case its the depth of the sleeve sticking out of the t case that varies. You can use a shorter gear, and apparently many do, I'm not sure what kind of issues come from the seals possibly not matching, and my concern personally is that the stroker motor I'm building is going to stress the input a bit more than stock, so I'd rather not push my luck by double the torque and halfing the spline depth at the same time. Plus it seems silly to be upgrading to a 6 pinion planetary and the wide chain just to use the wrong input gear.

I'd rather trade because the auto gear is of little use to me, but I'd rather not pay the 150$ novak wants for what is actually a stock part off a different setup, heck I bought the entire auto t case and upgrade parts for a bit less.

Ahhh I see what you're getting at now...

40 something variations? What kind of idiot came up with that and what were they on?

yeah, that novak info is about the best I've found, unfortunately even it contradicts itself. The vast majority of xj's were automatic, and it says the automatics came with the "medium" length input, yet some how it also says the medium input length is rare. How can the most popular option have the "rare" version of any part, it makes no sense. Also they don't actually provide any information on what is actually compatible with what, just what the factory uses and "Tah dah, we make on of those we will kindly sell you for just slightly less than the going price for an entire T case". I know for a fact the T case I have came form an auto and its definitely the short length, so I don't know why they don't list the aw4 as having the short input behind it.

If I have to buy the seal spacer I will, but I would much rather trade with someone for the right part.

Back