• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I would like to declare...

Milford Cubicle II

NAXJA Forum User
That I am a freaking, moron.

:twak:

This is in reference to http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1035699

I was planning on ordering a new PCM tomorrow morning but I thought just for grins and giggles I should test the CMP. I didn't expect to see much with my $30 DVOM but I back probed the signal wire for the CMP with my Jeep running and sure enough, every time the engine would stumble I would see the signal jump up to 12 volts when it should be 3-5 volts. That's not the stupid part... THIS, is the stupid part:

26670_869823394940_15924564_47283276_8244460_n.jpg

See it? Yes, that's the little plastic "holder" that goes through the housing of the "oil pump drive" and into the pulse ring to keep it in position while you install the oil pump drive that I put in over a year ago :doh:

Long story short I'm pretty impressed that the CMP lasted as long as it did. Inside, I found a bunch of what I'm hoping was magnet shavings and not any part of the oil pump drive; that thing was a BIOTCH to find. Here's a couple pics:

26670_869823404920_15924564_47283277_3123417_n.jpg

26670_869823409910_15924564_47283278_7450506_n.jpg

In the last pic you can see a couple glimmers of shavings but nothing too bad.

Here were my symptoms:
-Intermittent rough idle
-Inability to accelerate past ~30% throttle without bad misfires/shutting off
-Instrument panel doing very strange things like speedo jumping t0 100mph while sitting still
-Intermittent instrument panel beeping when the ignition is turned on
-Difficulty with Scangauge connecting
-After stalling, if I turned the key off and waited 15-30 seconds before cranking again it would start immediately

Hope this is helpful to someone!

That I am a freaking, moron.

:twak:

This is in reference to http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1035699

I was planning on ordering a new PCM tomorrow morning but I thought just for grins and giggles I should test the CMP. I didn't expect to see much with my $30 DVOM but I back probed the signal wire for the CMP with my Jeep running and sure enough, every time the engine would stumble I would see the signal jump up to 12 volts when it should be 3-5 volts. That's not the stupid part... THIS, is the stupid part:

See it? Yes, that's the little plastic "holder" that goes through the housing of the "oil pump drive" and into the pulse ring to keep it in position while you install the oil pump drive that I put in over a year ago :doh:

Long story short I'm pretty impressed that the CMP lasted as long as it did. Inside, I found a bunch of what I'm hoping was magnet shavings and not any part of the oil pump drive; that thing was a BIOTCH to find. Here's a couple pics:

In the last pic you can see a couple glimmers of shavings but nothing too bad.

Here were my symptoms:
-Intermittent rough idle
-Inability to accelerate past ~30% throttle without bad misfires/shutting off
-Instrument panel doing very strange things like speedo jumping t0 100mph while sitting still
-Intermittent instrument panel beeping when the ignition is turned on
-Difficulty with Scangauge connecting
-After stalling, if I turned the key off and waited 15-30 seconds before cranking again it would start immediately

Hope this is helpful to someone!
Glad you found your problem.:yelclap:
On a side note.....this should have been posted in your original thread as to make it easier to follow. Not pickn at you or nothing, just a thought.

X2.. if you can edit this post, I'd change the subject to describe the problem and add Fixed or Solved at the end. Then add the link from this to the end of your other thread. That way the 3 people who actually use search can more easily find it.

Since you "manned up" to this, you get a pass, however we reserve the right to ridicule you at a later date. ;)

Just locate your other thread, copy the address and post it as a link in this thread--then post the address for this thread in the original thread.

So, is that where the dist. used to go and now the oil pump gear just drives the halls effect switch?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I ain't never seen one of them befer.:gee:

So, is that where the dist. used to go and now the oil pump gear just drives the halls effect switch?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I ain't never seen one of them befer.:gee:

Yes, however for clarity when most people speak of a Hall's effect sensor it is in relation to a breakerless ignition applications; on the 4.0 the synch sensor in the distributor, or in the case of distributorless systems like this the oil pump drive housing is not for the ignition it is for the PCM to determine the injector pulse, and the crank sensor provides the ignition input. I know you know this, I just want to clarify it for any newbie that might run across the thread.

Last edited:
Back