• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HF Ham Radio Installation

n1ywb

NAXJA Forum User
I finally made some progress on my HF mobile setup, so I decided to start a writeup.

The most important decision to make regarded how to get on HF mobile is which antenna to use. Mobile HF radio is tough. Any antenna is going to be a serious compromise. Consider the 80 meters band. A typical vertical antenna is 1/4 wavelength, or about 20 meters. Can you imagine driving down the road with a 20m tall antenna?? So HF mobile antennas are necessarily severely undersized. Undersizing an antenna reduces it's efficiency. But the design of the antenna plays a great role in how much efficiency you keep. Generally speaking the highest efficiency is found via center loading. Base loading, end loading, and linear loading are all provably worse.

My chosen antenna is a Hi-Q 5-80 RT. It's 100% designed and made in the USA. It's 100% pure beef, and has been known to survive impacts with owls at high speed. 85% of them are sold to the Marines and the Army for use in Iraq. It will handle 1500 watts on SSB on all HF ham bands from 80m to 10m, continuously tuneable. It's got a giant copper center loading coil with a motorized contacter to permit tuning from the comfort of the driver's seat. The bottom line is that it's the smallest compromise you can make to get on HF mobile.

For more info check out http://www.hiqantennas.com/HiQ580.htm and if you talk to Charlie tell him Jeff N1YWB sent you.

I've had it sitting around for about a year and a half due to moving 2500 miles inland, starting a new job, buying a house, having a daughter, etc. So finally with the nicer weather and longer days I decided it was about time to get it going.

One thing the Hi-Q doesn't include is a whip. Most folks buy the radioshack 102" CB antenna and cut it to an appropriate length. So I ordered that I finally received it last week. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102428

I had already put quite a bit of thought into where to mount it. The sides of the Jeep were right out. Too unprotected. Yes it's beefy but it's also $500 and I didn't want to smash it unnecessarily.

The front bumper would be the best option from a radio point of view, since the hood would make a decent ground plane. But it would again be more exposed to smashing and also obstruct my vision.

I settled on mounting it on the rear end somewhere. It's not the ideal spot electrically, but it's the most protected.

The easiest thing to do would be to mount it to a draw bar in my class 3 hitch. But then I'd have to remove it every time I wanted to open my hatch. PITA. Next easiest thing would be some kind of plate off bumper, but again, have to remove it all the damn time. So I decided that by hook or by crook I would mount it to the fiberglass hatch.

The fiberglass hatch is interesting. It's nonconductive, so I didn't have to worry about the antenna shorting to it. On the other hand, the antenna feed line has to connect to ground at the antenna, so I will have to put some copper tape in the hatch and ground it to the chassis somewhere, probably at the hinges.

The big challenge for me was the mounting brackets. I'm a computer engineer, not a machinist. But I raided the scrap metal bin at work and found some nice thick sheet aluminum. I was able to fab up an L for the lower mounting bracket using the sheet metal brake at work, and drilled some holes with the drill press.

For the upper mounting bracket, I used a strip of aluminum, and bent it around the shaft of the antenna to approximate it's diameter. I then bent some tabs at an angle using a ghetto setup, 2 pairs of vice grips and a pair of channel locks. I'm really not a pro at this. A block of wood keeps the antenna tight inside the bracket. Normally I'd have to electrically insulate the antenna from the upper bracket and the wood block (wet wood is conductive), but since the tailgate is fiberglass, I don't think it's necessary. A different approach would be necessary with the steel tailgate; even if you insulated, the bracket and the antenna might couple capacitively and bleed RF to ground.

I found some nice recesses in the hatch where I could put the bolts through two layers of fiberglass, which hopefully makes it a bit stronger. I used washers on the bolts and tightened until I heard cracking :D If I have problems down the road, I'll make some sort of backing plate.

It seems pretty strong, I can shake the whole jeep with it and the antenna doesn't budge.

Next up will be wiring, and a radio to put some signal into it.

Last edited:
Pictures!

4710299651_621ed9688e_b.jpg

4710938268_ffc14e987d_b.jpg

4710298267_1d7817e2f7_b.jpg

Oh yeah for the record, the hatch lift supports raise the antenna just fine, and it clears the basket and tire no problem. With a whip on there, the whip will probably hit the basket at the front of it, but it's pretty flexible so it won't really matter.

Nice little write up here, i'll follow it and check your progress. Keep it up! I actually gave up on my HF rig on my XJ just didnt use it much, scared of it getting stolen too....in fact i also gave up my 2 mtr/440 rig also. Why you ask. First off im only a Tech. so i dont have the privilages like you...the extra! BTW: i need to get back to studying...just been to busy. I broke 2 Wilson 1000's ( cheap but they get the job done) on my RCI 2950...got sick of that. I now just toss in the HT when hitting the trails. My XJ is not my DD so i only drive it to/from the trails...no tow rig either. Only 1 person i wheel with is a ham anyway. We all (including the other operator) have 11 mtr for trail use. Usually just chat on that when in the woods. Of course i love the fact that i have the HT if anything ever happened...It's an old Kenwood TH 78A...W/5 watts pack so i like the fact i can "get out" when i have no cell signal. Its a good feeling forsure. Keep up the progress.

ALso as you know there is NO good places to mount radios in the XJ. I was trying to mount 2...little tricky.

73's K4SPJ

Nice little write up here, i'll follow it and check your progress. Keep it up! [/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'll probably post an update after I get some wiring done.

I actually gave up on my HF rig on my XJ just didnt use it much, scared of it getting stolen too....in fact i also gave up my 2 mtr/440 rig also. Why you ask. First off im only a Tech. so i dont have the privilages like you...the extra! BTW: i need to get back to studying...just been to busy.

At least there's no code now. I got my General and Extra in the same session after the code was reduced to 5wpm.

I broke 2 Wilson 1000's ( cheap but they get the job done) on my RCI 2950...got sick of that. I now just toss in the HT when hitting the trails. My XJ is not my DD so i only drive it to/from the trails...no tow rig either. Only 1 person i wheel with is a ham anyway. We all (including the other operator) have 11 mtr for trail use. Usually just chat on that when in the woods. Of course i love the fact that i have the HT if anything ever happened...It's an old Kenwood TH 78A...W/5 watts pack so i like the fact i can "get out" when i have no cell signal. Its a good feeling forsure. Keep up the progress.

Yeah I DD it whenever the roads aren't salted, so I'll probably use it to/from work, etc. Probably won't actually use it wheeling much, too much other stuff going on, unless I get stuck so far out that I can't get anybody up on 11m, 2m, cell, etc.

ALso as you know there is NO good places to mount radios in the XJ. I was trying to mount 2...little tricky.

73's K4SPJ

God tell me about it. I'm saving my pennies for a 706mkiig. It's not the best radio in the world, but it does everything and I can FIT it in an XJ. I figure I'll mount the body under the back seat or something and put the remote head on the dash. In the meantime I'll be running my Elecraft K2. 15 watts mobile, I must be a masochist or something...

The magic smoke came out of my yaesu 2m mobile rig recently, so I'm down to an HT for now, also.

Last edited:
First of all, looks great! I would personally use G10 fiberglas epoxy composite instead of aluminum, but that's because I have some on hand. I also don't like the way aluminum acts when bent sharply, it work hardens very easily compared with steel.

Nice little write up here, i'll follow it and check your progress. Keep it up! I actually gave up on my HF rig on my XJ just didnt use it much, scared of it getting stolen too....in fact i also gave up my 2 mtr/440 rig also. Why you ask. First off im only a Tech. so i dont have the privilages like you...the extra! BTW: i need to get back to studying...just been to busy. I broke 2 Wilson 1000's ( cheap but they get the job done) on my RCI 2950...got sick of that. I now just toss in the HT when hitting the trails. My XJ is not my DD so i only drive it to/from the trails...no tow rig either. Only 1 person i wheel with is a ham anyway. We all (including the other operator) have 11 mtr for trail use. Usually just chat on that when in the woods. Of course i love the fact that i have the HT if anything ever happened...It's an old Kenwood TH 78A...W/5 watts pack so i like the fact i can "get out" when i have no cell signal. Its a good feeling forsure. Keep up the progress.

73's K4SPJ
My FT-2800 (probably going to blow up soon, from what I've been hearing, but still works at the moment) fit perfectly inside the shell of the stock radio, which never worked. People try to change the volume and ask me why there is a microphone on my stereo.

Radios that can be set up with remote heads are great for the XJ. There is a lot of space for radio heads, just not many cavities you could comfortably install a full radio in. Since I'm somewhat of a tinkerer I've started planning how I'm going to mount the front panel from my CB in my overhead console and run wires from it to the actual body of the radio, which will go under a seat. Any radio (minus the ones old enough to actually have variable capacitors and inductors for tuning, those are more difficult) can be adapted to have a remote head without too much pain... if you're handy with a soldering iron.

First of all, looks great! I would personally use G10 fiberglas epoxy composite instead of aluminum, but that's because I have some on hand. I also don't like the way aluminum acts when bent sharply, it work hardens very easily compared with steel.

Yeah it's not the most trick setup. The big bracket I put in the sheet metal brake, and it did crack along the bend somewhat, due to the bend radius being too small. I'm really not a metal guy, but I'm trying to learn. Someday maybe I'll fab bracket 2.0. In the meantime, I think it's strong enough. I already whacked it against the roof of my carport pulling out this morning, guess it's taller than I thought :wow: Fortunately it just made a big thunk noise, no damage.

The upper bracket would have to be non conductive for anybody with the steel hatch, which makes it trickier. I've seen some folks use delrin or a similar plastic. Fiberglass would be a good choice also. The bottom bracket is insulated from the antenna by the included bushings, similar to a stud CB mount.

My FT-2800 (probably going to blow up soon, from what I've been hearing, but still works at the moment) fit perfectly inside the shell of the stock radio, which never worked. People try to change the volume and ask me why there is a microphone on my stereo.

How do you listen to country music?? :guitar:

Radios that can be set up with remote heads are great for the XJ. There is a lot of space for radio heads, just not many cavities you could comfortably install a full radio in. Since I'm somewhat of a tinkerer I've started planning how I'm going to mount the front panel from my CB in my overhead console and run wires from it to the actual body of the radio, which will go under a seat. Any radio (minus the ones old enough to actually have variable capacitors and inductors for tuning, those are more difficult) can be adapted to have a remote head without too much pain... if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Yup, just a bunch of wires to extend. If you're lucky they might use an internal header connector or something, but probably not, it would add $0.10 of cost to their BOM.

Too bad it's illegal to mod an HF ham radio to run on 11m. It seems like, as long as you follow the rules, keep it to 4 watts and stay on channel, what difference would it make? Then you could use a mobile ham radio with a head already remoted, and not have to install two radios. Of course it would cost 4x more than a CB, but if you were using it as a ham radio as well...

Last edited:
Update

I got my whip installed. It's a Radio Shack 102" CB antenna. It's stainless steel and tapers from 0.2" at the base down to 0.1" at the end. It's VERY whippy, I really wish it was more rigid. I can't imagine actually driving on the road with it, I'd be worried about it whacking other cars. It's too high to use on road anyway, the tip is well above the 13'6" limit. There are two ways to address this issue.

The first option would be to trip the whip. The loading coil on my Hi-Q 5-80 will provide enough inductance to load up a much shorter whip on 80m, as short as 3'. This has the obvious advantage of a shorter, less whippy whip. The disadvantage is lowered radiation efficiency.

The other option is to tie the whip down. You've probably seen this done before. I'm going with this option for now. It offers the highest possible radiation efficiency on 80m and 40m, and keeps the height down. It also enhances NVIS performance, which really is an advantage for me.

What is NVIS, you ask? NVIS is "Near Vertical Incidence Skywave". It's a propagation mode whereby you intentionally shoot your signal almost straight up, and it is reflected almost straight back down. It provides relatively reliable communications 24/7 365 on the 40, 60, and 80m bands, in a radius of about 300 to 400 miles. It works best with a horizontal antenna mounted close to ground. Well, bend over a vertical, and voila! An NVIS special! NVIS is ideal for regional tactical communications where VHF doesn't cut it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_Vertical_Incidence_Skywave

I used some galvanized wire and wrapped it several times around the tip of the antenna. I bent it slightly to keep the coils from sliding down. I wish I knew how to braze, that would be a bit more slick. I made an eye on the end and used some rope to tie it down. I need to change to a lighter cord, that stuff I'm using now is the best they had at Walmart. I left enough slack on the rope so I can untie it from the jeep and let the antenna become erect (huhuhuh) if I am stopped and I want to work DX. Then I just pull it back down with the rope and tie it back off to my roof rack. I should really add an insulator between the rope and the antenna. Dry rope isn't conductive, but wet rope is.

Someday I might buy another whip, to cut shorter. Then I can switch whips depending on the type of operating I'm doing.

Here are a few pictures of the jeep with the whip on it.
4715950510_c32477649a.jpg

4715951334_77d891e079.jpg

4715951828_f372ae4bec.jpg

4715307401_2b3a78dd4d.jpg

Helping daddy with electrical work :D

Back