• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Almost instant front dana44 swap?

AtomicPunk

NAXJA Forum User
So basically, TNT customs is selling this kit here http://tntcustoms.com/fronttruss-wagoneerd4480.aspx
which they claim will let you not only weld on this truss to strengthen the waggy front dana44, but will allow you to weld it on with all the mounting points to put it under your XJ. So what I'm asking is, has anybody used this before and is it really that easy? I mean after you order the brackets on it you need it will actually cost over $400 but i've seen bracket kits cost that much too, and if this worked it would make a front dana44 swap incredibly easy.

Ha, I used a TNT truss, and I would not call the swap anything close to instant, easy, or cheap for that matter.

You still need to figure everything out like are you narrowing the axle, pinion and castor angles, steering links and if you are doing high steer or not. Gearing and lockers, etc. Also what bolt pattern will you run now, how will you get your rear axle to match the bolt pattern, new rims. The list goes on.

As far as actually bolting it in to the vehicle, then ya that does replicate the factory mounting geometry.

I have a 5.5 inch rubicon express lift. I plan on going to a front wagoneer 44 with a crossover steering knuckle, will the larger 44 with a lift require a new front drive shaft? Also, if i got the crossover steering knuckle (i forgot who makes them but i'll find them) is anything going to be in the way of anything else? Tie rods, quick disconnect sway bar, etc?

Ha, I used a TNT truss, and I would not call the swap anything close to instant, easy, or cheap for that matter.

this= truth

I did a fullsize axle swap and ran a tnt truss and between that and the axle brackets the mounts for the springs and everything else and it was no were close to even cheap, or fast it took me about 3 weeks to get it all burned on and set up under the rig... as far as easy there was nothing easy about it your doing custom work and every rig is different so what works for one might not work for another.. My best advise read, read, read, and when you get it down read some more...

then grab your ankles cause its gonna hurt when you take out the wallet to pay for it all.. but its worth it to be able to get on it with 35's and have no fear of the front going BOOM..

themud

Back