• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

241OR from a JK - just swapping in?

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on buying a 2000 or 2001 Cherokee as a replacement for my totalled ´90 XJ.

I´ve got a 241 transfercase from a 2007 JK sitting in the basement which I didn´t install in the ´90 due to the 21spline output shaft of the "NonHO"-AW4 and the mechanical speedometer.

Now if buying a 2000/2001 XJ - is the swap of the 231 to the 241 a direct swap? 23spline output shaft should match and it has some electrical speedometer thingy as well, I think - but correct me if I´m wrong...

What else do I have to take care of?

Thanks!

I ran one in my 97 with the manual trans, no reason it won't go behind the AW4 as long as the input spline is good. Will need to change the ds ends as the stock flanges on the 241 are different than the 231. The tc has a tone ring for the electronic speedo so to make adjustments for tires/gears you will need the electronics from Dakota Digital or whoever you may prefer.

There was a recent thread that stated the JK 241 doesn't have a speedo output(IIRC).

I too remember seeing that the JK 241 didn't have an electric sensor in the t-case, but used a sensor on the wheels or something like that.

The TJ 241 does have the electric sensor though.

There was a recent thread that stated the JK 241 doesn't have a speedo output(IIRC).

^This. You need a 241 from an '03 - '06 to have a speedo hook-up. I believe with some money you can convert the new 241s to have a speedo, but it's more money than it's worth. I suppose if you don't need to know your speed, then albeit, go right on ahead and swap it in.

A lot of good info here.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1007897

Some years of XJ will get very unhappy if they don't have a VSS signal - engine will perform strangely, transmission may shift oddly, etc. I forget the specifics, but it's come up before. Haven't experienced it myself as I have only used stock transfer cases.

Back