• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Pipe Oil Pan Question

dbcooper100

NAXJA Forum User
Have an 01 XJ 4.0 Automatic.

Just repaced engine with reman, when bolting up the exh. pipes to the manifold, notice that the exh. pipe is touching the side of the oil pan, is that normal, seems like there should be a little more clearance.

Thanks, Dale.

Thanks for the info. This 01 has two mini catylitic conv. just downstream of the exh. man. they are welded to the down pipes that run close to side of the oil pan. This system has a two piece exh. man. one for cyl.1,2,3 the other for the last 3 cyl. Each of these mini cats has a O2 sensor. may not have a place to install flex section, but may be a possibility, will look again.

Honestly not that familiar with the 50 state emissions setup. Personally, I wouldn't want the heat from the exhaust against my oil pan.

With the bolt on downpipes you can cut out a section of the pipe where it runs from the drivers side across the to the passengers side and install the flex tube there. If your 50-state system is all welded up under there, i.e., no way to unbolt and adjust the angle of the downpipe, then I don't have an answer for you.

I dont have the dual cats on my 2000,but the downpipe has always been "everything but touching".

I put a custom downpipe on a '93 that came within a quarter-inch of touching the pan near the gasket seem.

It musta' slow-cooked the gasket because it eventually started leaking oil at that spot. Beware.

Mechanic friend was looking at my 2001 Jeep the other day and commented on the closeness of the exhaust to the oil pan too. He suggested using some exhaust wrap on the section running by the pan. Seems worth a try. I bought some, but I haven't done it myself yet. Should be an easy fix if you can get enough space to slip it in, and there is a little room on mine. Last time I tried something similar the wrap was pure asbestos. You wrapped it on wet and help it in place with bailing wire. The heat of the exhaust would harden the wrap. Newer stuff is supposed to be a whole lot better. Doesn't cause cancer and insulates much better.

Back