• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Durabak the exterior of my XJ?

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible or even a good idea to use some sort of bedliner like Durabak on the exterior of my XJ? I just finished sanding my down and was just going to slap on some Krylon rattle can but now im thinking i should with something more heavy duty.

Yep, totally possible. A few things to consider, though:
A lot of bed lining products will fade to gray under sunlight. Read up on bed liners here, a lot of guys like Raptor Liner.
The outside of your XJ will be sandpaper. Leaning on it, brushing past it, etc will be abrasive.
Most of these products are black. A black XJ? In Arizona? You might consider shooting a lighter color on top of the liner, though I have no experience there.
Bed lining the exterior of your rig sounds fine as far as durability. You probably won't ever re paint it again, if you do the prep work.

Another vote for U-Pol Raptor. I have Herc on mine, and it is fading/ deteriorating a bit. My dad's cousin used Raptor on the bed of his little "japanese truck" that he uses for hunting. It is defenitly a harder bedliner, a lot more plasticy, and was smoother than my rolled on Herc.

I painted my xj with Durabak about 3 years ago works great comes in colors but it does fade and it takes 1 and 1/2 gal.also what ever you open you should use up it does'nt keep well.I saw something new at 4 wheel parts show called al's liner looks good also.

i know its expensive, but look into POR15, they got all kinds of stuff, and its rock hard. I have it on all my skids, and its held up great. however, the epoxy, which is just clear, will turn yellow. oh and did I mention that it is uber expensive?

x2 on por15. its GREAT! but expensive, my buddy just painted his 84 chev plow truck with it. looks great, almost factory. only problem with spraying it is the amount you waste. tons of overspray. but in the end, i would say totally worth it. it'll be the only 84 chev being driven in the winter up here that isnt rusty and still looks awesome.

Other folks have reported piss poor results even with good prep work on POR15. I have nothing direct, but search for it on this site before deciding to drop the coin.

Is it possible or even a good idea to use some sort of bedliner like Durabak on the exterior of my XJ? I just finished sanding my down and was just going to slap on some Krylon rattle can but now im thinking i should with something more heavy duty.

I did my jeep from the lower door trim down. I used Duplicolor (not by first choice, got the cans for free so thought, what the hell) It has been on over a year with no fade out, looks as black as can be. Of course, I am in the midwest, don't know how the UV rays in AZ would affect it.

1. Obviously wash jeep thoroughly.
2. Scuff up surface with 180-220 grit sandpaper and orbital sander.
3. Wash again, making sure to clean thorougly.
4. Wipe done with Acetone, repeatedly.
5. Tape off and paint a primer coat of POR-15, wait till minimal finger drag
and apply 2nd coat.
6. While 2nd coat of POR-15 is still tacky/minimal finger drag, apply light
coat of duplicolor.
7. Wait 30 minutes or so, reapply 2nd coat. Wait 2 hours, apply 3rd/final
coat.
8. Wait till barely tacky and apply thin coat of rustoleum satin black outdoor
paint. Reapply within 45 minutes.
9 Wait 48 hours and reapply 3rd coat of rustoleum topcoat.
10. After completely dry apply pinstripping to make a crisp edge.

Trying to bring this thread back before opening another one. I'm about to cut and fold my front fenders. I have the OEM fender flares. They are silver but the paint is flaking off. I'm planning on using them after I fold the fenders. I want to paint the fender flares and the bottom of the doors (from the trim line down) with a type of bedliner. Is the above still the appropriate process for painting over painted metal and or plastic???? Any better/reasonable products out there. I was thinking about Dupli Color spray on?????

POR15 is tough but not UV safe. It will chalk up pretty quick on the top side of a vehicle. If you want something simular but tougher and UV protected, go to www.topsecretcoatings.com

Back