• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about a "cheap" dana300 flip

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
just doing some reading online, and found this jeep tech site.

it says:

"..........The difference is all the New Process transfer cases are drivers drop and the Dana 300 is passenger drop. Some drilling and or tapping may be necessary in the transfer case or the adapter to "clock" the transfer case. One bolt hole in the pattern is offset to allow the transfer cases to only be bolted on one way. The other option is to not use the bolt that clocks the transfer case."
http://www.jeeptech.com/xfer/d300.html

is it really that easy to just "not use the bolt that clocks the transfer case"??? or to just re-drill the one hole to clock in in the driver drop position???

if that's the case, i think i just found myself a twinstick option for the XJ and TJ. or do any of you guys know of a way to flip the dana300 for less than $500???

BrettM said:
it's simple to redrill. I believe it still needs a spacer (5/8"?) though. and bigger problems are dealing with the shifters and oiling once you flip it.

I thought that the D300 wouldn't have oiling issues. Isn't it a 'slinger' type lube system? Maybe the info I read a while back was wrong.

12GAXJ said:
I thought that the D300 wouldn't have oiling issues. Isn't it a 'slinger' type lube system? Maybe the info I read a while back was wrong.
i'm not talking about oiling the gears and bearings, I'm talking about getting oil in the case and keeping it there. Besides the breather, drain plug, fill plug, etc, you will need to seal the stock shift rails as they will then be under the level of the oil.

BrettM said:
i'm not talking about oiling the gears and bearings, I'm talking about getting oil in the case and keeping it there. Besides the breather, drain plug, fill plug, etc, you will need to seal the stock shift rails as they will then be under the level of the oil.

Gotcha. :thumbup:

Back