• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubberized Paint?

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
Originally i was going to repaint my 2000 XJ the cheap way with Krylon desert khaki rattle cans, however now that ive got it all sanded donw and ready to go ive got some buddies that have been suggesting some kind of rubberized paint or something along those lines that will be much more durable. Problem is none of them can give me a straight answer about the what and where. Any recommendations on what to use and who i can get it from?

Are you talking about "truck bed Liner"?

Something like Line-X?

Grant Barclay, one of NAXJA's original members did that to his rig about 15 years ago. He did the whole thing in bright yellow then did an outline of mountains along the bottom in black. It was sweet and lasted longer than the rig did.

Are you talking about "truck bed Liner"?

Something like Line-X?

i dont think its quite the same as "truck bed liner", but i may be wrong...there was a guy on here who layed the whole bottom half of his truck with the stuff. his username is stumpxj, if you go to page two of this thread ( http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1010214 ) there are good pics of it there..... you may want to try n get ahold or him, he may have more info on it

I think you want elastomeric Paint. When it dries it is like rubber. It is not rough like bed liner. They used to use it on the GTO bumpers and some 70's Cuda's, Challenger's, Road Runners and chargers. You can get it from auto body supply store. They also make it for buildings. You can get it pretty smooth if you have the proper equipment. It could be thinned and sprayed with a HVLP or cup gun. Best results would be from an airless sprayer with a fine filter and a small tip.

I had an old full size blazer that I did with bedliner. I used the spray on type in the taller than rattle can size. Quick sand and sprayed it on. Ends up with a 100 grit type finish. Worked great and held up to abuse without flaking or peeling. Bought from a Fleet Farm, I think it was around $8 a can. Handful of colors and it can be painted.

there are a couple different options. the "rubberized undercoating" spray on cans... i would NOT suggest. even properly sanded, primed, and applied, i gets knicked up pretty quickly and easy. and lets the rust happen.

if your going to apply anything other than paint, i would suggest a bed liner. the rattle cans work pretty well from what ive seen actually. and if you even scratch a bumper, rocker pannel, ect. you can just whip out a can and patch it. the roll on liners work wonders too. i mean... its a BED LINER. haha. for costs the rhino liner is readily available. i beleive the popular product right know is the raptor liner though.

X2 on the roll on bed liner. For the price, its the best. I lined my XJ body below the trim, including bumpers. I did this to my previous rig, and liked it so much, I did it to this one.

Doing your whole vehicle though would be interesting, cant say I have seen that before... Can't really think of anything bad to say about it either... sure would be the most durable paint job haha. Good luck!

Back