• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter ?'s

xjon

NAXJA Forum User
About to slap the converter on (99 4.0 AW4 automatic) and really dont know about it. Does the transmission fluid circulate through it? How much fluid should I have in it during the install? My neighbor says about a quart or just enough to not spill when turned vertical.

Heres what i plan to do:
-Put fluid in converter then install and measure with bell housing to make sure its fully seated.
-Fill tranny with 4 quarts of atf
-run and check level (do you check level with fluid warm or cold?)

Thanks

The capacity of the whole system is 12-13 quarts. If you drop the pan you will get 3.5-4 quarts. While there is a little more in the transmission, the majority of the difference is in the torque converter.

Out camping, no FSM on hand, but I would say 4 quarts minimum into the torque converter.

Hot vs. Cold: interesting question. Trans fluid for the AW4 should be checked after the engine and transmission have been operated for 20 minutes--at full operating temperature. How do you get there with a "dry" transmission? Put in 9-10 quarts and check it. That 9-10 includes the torque converter, so you would be adding 5-6 quarts through the dipstick tube to what you poured into the converter. Engine running shift the transmission through its full range a few times, then check the level--keep repeating the shifting/checking until you start getting good readings. Take your time and don't overfill, better to be a little low until you can get it good and hot.

Good luck.

Fluid does circulate through it... I think.

I never measure, I fill the sucker up till it is nearly overflowing, then spin/tilt it till it goes back down, rinse lather repeat. Make sure you fully seat it in the transmission before installing the transmission (bolt bellhousing on, then torque converter to flexplate) or you will chew up the oil pump gear and input shaft splines.

Agreed on better to run a little low than too high. Might as well replace the tranny input seal as well since it's a 6 dollar part and right in front of you, instead of having to pull the tranny again when it blows.

Fill it until it runs out of the hole. I would fill it laying down, let it soak in for a few minutes and stand it up to see if it runs out. Then repeat.

Fluid does flow through it, that is what makes it work.

I've filled laying down, spin in circles, stand it up then fill again and when it started pouring out I stopped. However it wasn't the 4 qts mentioned above. It was almost a quart.

Seal was changed. Now it's all bolted up to engine. Thanks for all the replies.

Back