• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 35 abs zj disc swap

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all;

ive been doing some research on the zj disc swap and have read all the write ups on multiple forums and personal pages.

after searching etc i have only come across info regarding cutting the backing plate to fit abs on the dana 44 swap. as i am the owner of a d35 with abs, and will be doing this swap, i am wondering what to do about the abs sensor. i understand that there are some splines on the axle shaft itself, and that the abs sensor somehow has to match up with these spines, and often there is a bracket attached to the sensor putting it in the correct position, but the actual process i am unfamiliar with.

the backing plates i obtained appear to have a nice hole for the sensor and are from a d35 zj. i am assuming this will be a plug and play type operation, but you know what they say about assumptions.

i havent had the time to get dirty with my jeep yet, as it is my dd etc etc, and want to be prepared for the swap before i start taking things apart.
no ride to work = no money = no more mods!

thx

that second one is quite nice. i hadnt seen it before.

any ideas/ info about using the stock xj abs sensor/ wiring? my d30 has the tone rings already installed. i dont understand why one would want to use the zj abs sensors and rings of they have the xj ones already?

The Xj tone rings are.. wait.. did you even bother reading the one I posted? If you had you would have read the reason for the ZJ tone rings in the first paragraph after the disclaimer. The second writeup shows the difference between the two sensors as well. Are you illiterate or just that lazy?

i understand the zj tone rings are a different size than the xj ones, but i dont understand why this is an issue. if you use the xj tone rings and the xj sensor the only thing changing is the backing plate? I'm guessing that the whole in the zj backing plate is lined up to use the zj sized tone rings etc. what i'm wondering is if anyone has any advice on keeping the xj stuff, using it in conjunction with the new zj backing plates.

why cant i just re-locate the mount for the sensor so that it works? this is what i do not understand.

thanks for the bash though

Still not understand the ABS ring topic.
If I do checkout the dealers Parts list, they state that the ABS rings are same for the ZJ and XJ for a Dana 35.
Did I miss something ?

Back