• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Vent

Also, I have a 91 XJ but there seems to be 1990 Power Steering Pump on it..Any reason why someone would have done this. Should I put back on the 91 Power steering pump? Is the only difference the Reservoir?

Didn't know that there WAS a vent. Of course I have an 88 and a 90, but I've still never seen a P/S pump vent. What am I missing??

The 1990 Has a vented cap...And the 91 Does not have a vented cap...I currently have a 1990 Power Steering Pump on my 1991 XJ. Just wondering if I should put back on the original 1991 Power Steering Pump

I don't see why you should. Is it causing any problems? Other than causing a spectacle of shooting power steering fluid all over the hood when it was overfilled, my vented cap didn't cause any other problems. My 98 also have a vented cap and it runs fine.

My 90 has the "vented" cap--about as useful as you-know-what on a boar hog.

Thanks guys...Would it be an issue if I ran some fuel line off the top of the cap and out the bottom of the motor so if it did ever overfill it would not make a mess under my hood...

Thanks guys...Would it be an issue if I ran some fuel line off the top of the cap and out the bottom of the motor so if it did ever overfill it would not make a mess under my hood...

I would imagine that in that situation, it would end up acting like a siphon and removing more then you intended....

Nick

Back