• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shakes while coasting

dblynch90

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 Comanche 2wd, and when im driving it shakes when my foot is not on the accelerator at around 30mph or over. When i step on the gas it stops shaking and drives fine. Any ideas?

Sounds like you're u-joint might be going out in the drive shaft. That is what I would check first. After that it could be ring and pinion, transmission etc but my money would be on the u-joint. I just bought an 87 2wd MJ I'm working on getting running. Let us know how it turns out.

Definitely start with torque related items--engine mount brackets, engine mounts, transmission mount, crossmember bolts. Then the DS u-joints and slip yoke, ring and pinion, etc.

I'd start with tire balance, it's the easiest.

I would think that tire vibrations wouldn't depend on the accelerator being pressed or not. But balancing tires is cheap and couldn't hurt. You could rotate your tires while you're at it.

It could be almost anything. I would start with a tire rotation (free) and see if the shaking moves. I have had even strange things cause this problem. I have had exhaust hangers break and when you let off the gas the harmonics causes a vibration in the drive train. I have never had a u-joint cause vibration, most of them have catastrophic failure when they go bad. How bad is the shaking? Do you feel it in the steering wheel? Can you feel it at your feet? Is it isolated to the front or rear of the vehicle?

Back