• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pukegoat 5 speed to aw4 swap.. ??????

duffman5001

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone. I have an 88 cherokee and am getting ready to swap the 5 speed out for an auto. The donor is an 88 as well so will i need to do much besides swap it and go? or will i need to swap ecu's etc... ????

1) Swap ECU - I'm not sure what, but there is apparently a difference between the M/T and A/T units (probably in spark/fuel timing curves, so programming.)

2) You'll need to move the TCU over. Check under your glove box, behind the lower dash trim fascia, for a largish plug. That's where the TCU goes.

3) The TPS is different - look for an unused four-pole Delphi Weatherpack around the throttle body.

4) And the NSS needs to 8-pole connectors in the engine bay, on the passenger side of the engine.

All in all, it may be easier to just swap in an AX-15 than the AW4. Chances are fair-to-middlin' that you'll need to move all of the electronics over with the transmission, and it's a fair bet that you'll need to move over wiring as well. Having the full donor vehicle handy will help you - but the AX-15 swap is much easier!

neutral safety switch

Well i have the complete donor vehicle and its an 88 so i should have all the parts i need... I have heard that a few over here have done tis swap.. Does anyone know of any write-ups or anything for it??

Well i have the complete donor vehicle and its an 88 so i should have all the parts i need... I have heard that a few over here have done tis swap.. Does anyone know of any write-ups or anything for it??

since you have the 88 donor, its a simple R&R(remove and replace). you will also need to check that the pilot bearing will except the auto trans, which will be easy to inspect/replace when the manual trans is seperated from the engine.

you may want to swap axles also if your running larger then stock tires.

the xj with the manual trans came stock with 3.07 axle gearing while the auto trans xj will most likey be 3.55 gearing. 3.07 gearing with an auto trans will have poor bottom-end(power/torque) performance which will be noticeable if you run larger then stock tires, tow, have it fully loaded, or on steep inclines. only benifit would be that you could really whined the gears out and have a higer top end(speed/hp).

what is the reason for the swap? as mentioned, an ax-15(manual trans) from an 89 1/2 and up xj would be an easier swap.

since you have the 88 donor, its a simple R&R(remove and replace). you will also need to check that the pilot bearing will except the auto trans, which will be easy to inspect/replace when the manual trans is seperated from the engine.

you may want to swap axles also if your running larger then stock tires.

the xj with the manual trans came stock with 3.07 axle gearing while the auto trans xj will most likey be 3.55 gearing. 3.07 gearing with an auto trans will have poor bottom-end(power/torque) performance which will be noticeable if you run larger then stock tires, tow, have it fully loaded, or on steep inclines. only benifit would be that you could really whined the gears out and have a higer top end(speed/hp).

what is the reason for the swap? as mentioned, an ax-15(manual trans) from an 89 1/2 and up xj would be an easier swap.

Thanks for the input.. I am actually regearing it to 4:56 gears and am going to run 33's. The reason I want an auto- actually a couple reasons- 1st I already have it- it is in my donor vehicle and I don't want to spend more $.. 2nd is that my wife hates manuals. 3rd is that my last trail rig was a 5 speed and i got sick of it. and for the type of wheeling I do i just prefer an auto :cheers:

Back