• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Roar at 65mph

danray9

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee; it's a 2WD, 4 Door Wagon, 2.5 liter L4 MPI, 5 Speed Aisin-Warner AX5 Manual Transmission with about 108,000 miles on it.
1. When driving at a speed of 65 mph, the Jeep roars (Engine / Transmission ?). If you let off the gas and get under 65mph it goes away and runs smooth & quiet.
2. When driving at a speed between 65 mph and 70 mph, the Jeep vibrates; my right foot can even feel the vibration on the gas pedal. But when the speed is higher than 70 mph the vibration vanishes though the Jeep still roars.

Anybody else had this problem or figured out the fix or solution?

Thanks - I will check the bearings but it seems the engine roar increases or decreases according to throttle movement above or below 65mph.

danray9 said:
Thanks - I will check the bearings but it seems the engine roar increases or decreases according to throttle movement above or below 65mph.

Are you sure it's from the engine? From the way you're decribing it, it sounds like wheel bearings - though U-joints could conceivably be an additional culprit.

sounds like the clutch, in the fan clutch isn't disengaging
Next time your cruising down the road and the the jeep is roaring, put it in (N)and rev the eng up and down. If the roar gos up and down with eng speed, replace your fan clutch!

Dus you jeep have a mechanical fan or is it electrice fan only?

Back