• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac info pls

91blackbox

NAXJA Forum User
ok have a 91 <obviously> i'm not getting anything out of my dash vents just defrost... my ac needs to be charged and the clutch works via a jumber to 12v but when i switch to ac mode i get nada i hear the blower motor but nada from vents when i switch it to do so.... and i dont here the blower under the glove box engaging at all... any ideas guys and gals

Broken vacuum line more than likely. I've had two seperate XJs where they break under the hood where they come out of the firewall. Slightly to the right of where the coolant bottle is/was on Renixs.

Oops, sorry I read about half of that.. The broken vacuum line will make it always blow out of the defrost but are you saying the blower isn't working too? I'd start with fuses after you fix the vacuum issue

checked for vac leaks and see none... no bad fuses and swapped ac relay... hmmm anymore ideas

Your first post is a bit confusing. You say that you hear the blower motor but nothing from the vents and then say that you don't hear the blower under the glove box engaging. I guess I would say that if the motor is turning, the squirrel cage blower is turning as they are direct coupled. If you are sure that the motor is running, then the problem, as others have stated, is likely with the vacuum operated blend doors under the dash, the vacuum lines that control the doors (problem usually somewhere under the hood between the firewall and the vacuum reservoir) or the vacuum check valve (although this typically shows up as a loss of air out of the dash vents only on acceleration when vacuum drops).

Do all your checks with the fan speed setting on high so as not to possibly confuse results with a bad resistor pack or fan switch.

Get back when (or if) you are certain about the operation of the motor itself.

After rereading this I would add that, to the best of my knowledge, the status of the A/C itself has no bearing on the operation of the blower motor and vents, at least on our older xjs. The flow of air is controlled by the selector lever and fan speed switch and whether or not the rest of the A/C system is operating makes no difference.

no i get blowing air from the defrost but only hot air.. the motor under the glove box is not turning on.... like i said the system needs to be recharged but need to get the rest working first...

could the lever be bad and be the reason .. i know alot about cars but nothing about a/c systems

If your getting blowing air at defrost your blower motor is working. The linkage or vacuum harness in the dashboard AC controls are messed up a little. I'm sure you'll see when you pull insturment panel off to check it out.

Now, your main problem is no cold air. Your low on freon if you have to jump AC clutch to turn compressor. If it's totally empty you might try converting to 134-a.

On my 89 xj I was able to put a vacuum on my system that had been open to atmosphere for 7years and fill it with 134-a, no new seals or o-rings or any other parts. It blows pretty cold air and been holding pressure for 3 years now.

Good luck

There is only one motor and one fan associated with the a/c and heating systems located in and under the dash. The fan is a squirrel cage unit mounted directly onto the motor shaft and this motor/fan combination is mounted on the engine side of the firewall and accessed from the engine compartment. Just to be specific, there is no separate motor "under the glove box". As my2monkeys said, if air is blowing out of the defrost vents, the blower motor is working and you can go to the next step which is to determine why the vacuum motor(s) that controls the flow of air to the various vents is not working.

The problem could be the slide control but I have to ask if you are absolutely certain that you have a good vacuum from the line coming from the reservoir and on through the firewall. You can't always tell just by looking. And to be complete, is the vacuum reservoir bottle itself hooked up to a vacuum source. (Don't mean to insult you but might as well go ahead and ask.)

Back