• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wired LED tails, now XJ wont start

LouisianaZJ

NAXJA Member #1362
OK, i am stumped

I wired in some LED tails from JCR off road, I just spliced into the incandecent wiring and was going to add diodes after everyting was finished eventually.

98XJ, 4.0L auto, 150k mi

1. Saturday wired it all up w/o incident
2. tested the blinkers, running, hazards with key i acc position for about 5 min.. all OK

3. started it up & tested blinkers, running, hazards with key i acc position for about 15 min.. all OK

4. I go to start up today, and it tried to start (starter ran for 1 sec, then everything dies)

it seems the XJ is getting very little power, lights wont turn on at all, dont hear the fuel pump turn on, dont get any starter, when I turn on the hazard flasher the relay sounds terrible

5. battery appears OK (13v).. charging now

6. I removed the rear blinker & running light fuses& hazard flasher relay? still wont start

7. I can find the turn signal flasher any clues?

7. The turn signal flasher and hazard warning flasher are a combination flasher relay.

Have you checked the fuses in the PDC and the Junction Block to ensure you havent blown any of them?

all the fuses in the pdc were OK. The lighting fuses in the interior fuse block looked OK, did not check all of them.

going to add the diodes, what size should I be using?

From what I understand you need a bleed resistor to drop voltage so that the flasher will cause the LEDs to go off and on.

Not sure what the rating would be on the diode (voltage flow check).

Check your battery's main cables.

inspected & resealed the wiring splices at the LED's
installed HD electronic flasher
replaced lead terminals with brass marine terminals & recharged.

working good so far, see if it holds up

Back