• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission swapping help

TexasTough

NAXJA Forum User
I'm converting my 97 2wd XJ to 4wd. My issue is I have a 97 AW4 2wd transmission (original) and a 98 TJ AW4??? model 30-43LE 4x4 transmission. Which I intended to swap into the XJ.

1. I read some were that all I needed to do was swap the transfer case adapter onto my 97.
The only problem is the output shaft is about 6" longer than on the 4x4. Transfer case wont attach....

2. So I decided to do the complete swap.
Now I have the 97 2wd transmission sitting next to the 98 TJ 4x4 & the wiring harnes connectors are not the same .TJ has an extra sensor ?? 2 extra wires..were or do I connect them?.

Any suggestions? If I swap in the 98 TJ will it work with the 97 TCU?
Should I just take a cutting blade on my grinder & cut off the extra output length????
huh.gif

First issue you have is that they never used an AW4 in a TJ from the factory... It was a totally different beast mechanically and electronically... Wiring is completely different than what your XJ has now... Your best bet would be to go find an AW4 from the same year XJ 4wd and use the t-case from the TJ as it's the same one the XJ used at the time...

First issue you have is that they never used an AW4 in a TJ from the factory... It was a totally different beast mechanically and electronically... Wiring is completely different than what your XJ has now... Your best bet would be to go find an AW4 from the same year XJ 4wd and use the t-case from the TJ as it's the same one the XJ used at the time...
tj case is clocked a lil different so he may have to clearence the floor a lil, as far as the trans its a tourque flite 999 3 spd auto, your computer will not work with it, you could use a 5 spd computer but your best bet would be to just find a 4wd aw4

That is a AW4, I am rebuilding mine and it looks like that except for the sensor in the front. think it would be fine, are the connectors the same? just remove the front sensor from the circuit? there should be a plate on it also that says the model.

FYI:

I found that 97 is a unique model AW4 transmission with it's own wire harness & TCM. I was able to move the 97 pickup module onto the 98 transmission and swapped in the 97 wiring harness & sensor (with slight modification). The sensor by the bell housing is not connected.

All looks good no trouble codes!!!
96 & older AW4 21 spline w/own TCM
97 AW4 23 spline w/own TCM
98 & newer AW4 23 spline w/own TCM

The output speed sensor on the 98 is four pulses per revolution and a different pickup type than the 97 and earlier ones. You can either build a circuit to adapt the signal, or swap the rotor, sensor, and perhaps tailhousing as you did.

The input speed sensor can be ignored, as you did - that's why you can modify a 98-up AW4 to go into a 97-down XJ but not vice versa, at least without a machine shop.

The TCM for the 97 looks like the 98-up, but uses the old style output speed sensor, so it is unique. The TCM for 98-01 is cross year compatible. The TCM for 96 and down is the old style one. Electrically the transmission is controlled the same on all years EXCEPT for the input and output speed sensors as already noted.

EDIT: BTW you are entirely incorrect on the spline count - 90 and older are 21 spline. 91 and newer are all 23 spline.

Thanks for the correction on spline count, & :huh:where were you a week ago when I was lost and had no idea what to do with this swap???

The 97 has a magnetic 2 pulse per revolution speed sensor, which is easily swapped onto the 97 output shaft. the sensor hole is twice as large on the 98 transmission so I made a rubber grommet to center & seal it into the housing, as well as drilling a new hole in lockdown clamp.

Works great!!

It's actually a 1 pulse per rev rotor - if you look at the backside of the rotor you'll see that there is only a magnet in one lobe, the other is just there to balance it to avoid vibrations.

As for where I was... I guess I just didn't see this thread :doh: not sure why.

Your correct I did see magnet.

Thanks for the info very informative, next time I'm stumped I'll ping you if you don't mind.

Last edited:
I guess I spoke a little to soon. Looks like I am getting a trouble code on my AW4 swap.

Misalignment or malfunction on the transmission speed sensor.

Does this sensor need calibration once installed? I can physically (Ohmmeter) see the switch go from an open to a short every time the output shaft rotates. Appears to be working correctly.

Any suggestions

I guess I spoke a little to soon. Looks like I am getting a trouble code on my AW4 swap.

Misalignment or malfunction on the transmission speed sensor.

Does this sensor need calibration once installed? I can physically (Ohmmeter) see the switch go from an open to a short every time the output shaft rotates. Appears to be working correctly.

Any suggestions

The speed sensor that the AW4 uses to control it is on the back of the tranny not on the tcase. IF you look in your 97 picture you will see it above the speed sensor that controls the speedometer.

Ghost
I understand that output speed sensor is on the transmission, the speedometer sensor moves to the transfer case on the 4wd transmission.

Is the code for the transmission speed sensor or the speedometer one? What is the code?

Back