• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trans pan

jtcnjxj

NAXJA Forum User
I want to change my trans filter. The pan / gasket appears to be sealed on with something more stubborn than ATV sealant. How do I get This off without damaging something?
2001 xj AW4.

Obviously, you want to avoid putting big gouges all the way across the sealing surface, especially of the transmission itself. I would use a putty knife that has a nice nick free leading edge to it. Keeping it parallel to the joint surface, force it in between the pan and the transmission. It may be necessary to tap the handle with a hammer. Work it in like that as far around as you can get access to. Leave a couple of bolts in loosely so that the whole thing doesn't fall off at once.

You can do it the way I've done it in the past. Pull the plug to drain all the fluid out, remove all bolts but leave one in each corner barely threaded in to catch the pan then smack the sides with a rubber mallet. It's soft so it won't deform the pan or anything and the sharp hard blows will break the RTV loose as someone probably used the black rtv instead of a gasket.

Obviously, you want to avoid putting big gouges all the way across the sealing surface, especially of the transmission itself. I would use a putty knife that has a nice nick free leading edge to it. Keeping it parallel to the joint surface, force it in between the pan and the transmission. It may be necessary to tap the handle with a hammer. Work it in like that as far around as you can get access to. Leave a couple of bolts in loosely so that the whole thing doesn't fall off at once.

I'm with Winterbeater, this is exactly the way to do it.

Back