• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing fender flares?

uRabbit

NAXJA Forum User
Dunno how to do this, really. I assume just rip them off. That's what I'd rather do, as my 10mm doesn't fit up inside the well for removal of screws. But it's holding on pretty good and I don't see any way to really pry them off.

Any hints for me? Maybe a topic that didn't show up in my search?

The flares are held on by brackets which are fastened to the fender with 10mm nuts.
If you plan to reuse the flares in the future; then loosen the brackets by spraying the 10mm nuts with penetrant and use a 1/4" drive deep socket to remove them. Work the nuts back a forth until they unscrew easily so you dont break them off....

You can't really pry them off. Even if you somehow manage it, the brackets will still be there, and they have to be unbolted. As you're up north, chances are half the studs are going to snap off anyway. There's also a small screw at the bottmo that attaches to the bottom of the fender.

For a "quick and dirty" flare removal, try running the Rubicon. :D Got 3 of mine in under 2 hours.

If it's a 97+, there are holes in the fender liner for socket access. Pull the screw at the bottom, then break off all the studs (between 2 flares, only 2 studs didn't snap off). The flares snap onto the brackets, and the brackets are bolted through the sheet metal.

I just took a deep 10mm socket and pushed it through the holes to get at the nuts. It's pliable, and that's what the holes are there for. If you really can't get at them, just pull the push-in fasteners out and remove the liner. It's just a big plastic flap- easy to remove and reinstall.

just break em all off, then go to the store and get some nuts and bolts to replace em

yeah i had the same problem i have a 91 and when i took my flares off almost every bolt broke lol. but im throwing on a set of tj flares due to laws sying i need something to cover my tires

put a 10mm socket on each clip, and break em off one at a time. its the WORST spot on a jeep, if you ever drive thru water, they'll break right off. if they dont... loosen em with the ratchet.

easy.

if you have to, cut out the fender liner to get access... i didnt remember having ANYTHING in the way, but now that i think of it, i did remove the liner first.

just fyi... if you ever want to go back to using stock flares, replacement pieces are very expensive (on 97-01's anyways) but what i did was just like everyone else and removed the plastic and broke the 10mm nut off or loose. Another option for the front is to use a body saw and use the flares like a guide =)

Okay heres what you do... First unbolt the whole fender... then pull fender off. Then you can unbolt the flares... All kidding aside. Lift the body up a little or take the wheels off if you don't have any room.

Back