• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributer swap question

fastfox84

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my 89 4.0 longblock with one from a 96. What is involved in putting the old dist into the new block? I read on here that I need to position the oil pump to 11 oclock, that true? Also will all the old sensors fit on the new block?

Ok, best is to bring BOTH engines to TDC compression stroke, mark the relationship of the rotor to the distributor housing and also put a mark on the 96 block. that way the oil pump of the 96 should be lined up correctly for a drop-in install. If not, you can make an oil pump turning tool--long rod, one end ground to match the end of the distributor.

As for sensors--the knock sensor boss may not be drilled/threaded, easy fix, and some just leave the sensor plugged into the harness and tie it up out of the way. Now, your 89 has a temperature gauge/idiot light sender in the rear of the head, a CTS coolant temperature sensor in the block under the manifolds, and if an aux fan then you have a fan switch in the radiator. The 96 will have a thermostat housing with a port for a sensor, so if it has a port in the head you should be all set if you move the CTS of the 89 to the thermostat housing. If the 96 doesn't have a port in the head, then you can drill and tap the flat round space on the thermostat housing that faces the front of the vehicle, 1/4 NPT, don't run the tap to deep or you will have to buy another housing. You could also put the 89 CTS in the block drain hole by removing the plug that is in there, or buy a Hesco dual port housing, or put an inline tap into a heater or radiator hose.

EDIT: not a Renix, but some good info here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1035831

Last edited:
On the 96, you might be lucky enough to have a place for your temp sensor in the head and you can remove a block plug on the left side of the engine and install your CTS.Put 'em side by side and go for it.

Back