• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that noise!

Cherokee Yellow

NAXJA Forum User
Alright. I have this noise that started out as an annoying squeak in my 01 XJ. I thought it was the driver's seat (because it came loose and squeaked in the past), but now I am thinking otherwise. The sound has progressed into a metal rubbing metal kinda sound, and is getting to be like fingernails on a chalk board. It seems like it is coming from under my feet, but I cannot pinpoint it. Also seems to be getting worse as the weather gets colder. I've crawled under the jeep several times now and shook everything I could get my hands on, but no luck. I put the Jeep up on jack stands, and pulled and pushed on the wheel, but there was no give at all and no noises. My Superflex lift is less than one year old, and that includes RE adj LCA's, and JKS adj track bar. Just replaced the steering stabilizer, still have the stock pitman arm and Upper Ctrl Arms. Has anyone experienced this, or have any idea what this might be?

Something with the brakes or a u-joint in the axleshaft. My axleshaft is making the same sound with some bad needlebearings in the u-joint. HTH.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Something with the brakes or a u-joint in the axleshaft. My axleshaft is making the same sound with some bad needlebearings in the u-joint. HTH.

Kim.
It does not happen when I hit the brake pedal, does that rule out the brakes, or can they make noise when not engaged? It's an 01 with less than 60k miles on it, I would hope it's not a u-joint already. Only have 3.5" of lift as well.

if it increases with speed it's something that's rotating.
I'd start with checking the brakes, then I'd chekc the u-joints for play. It's quite possible at 60K that u-joints may be bad, that's not unreasonable, especially if one's gotten some mud in it.
If it's not wheel bearings or u-joints then I'd pull the front driveshaft and drive without it. If the noise goes away it's eomthing there.
you can do the same with the rear.

Cherokee Yellow said:
It does not happen when I hit the brake pedal, does that rule out the brakes, or can they make noise when not engaged? It's an 01 with less than 60k miles on it, I would hope it's not a u-joint already. Only have 3.5" of lift as well.

It's really hard to tell what kind of sound you are talking about without hearing it myself so that was my guess. I would still check the brakes over. A pad might be wearing wrong and allowing the metal tab to rub the rotor at certain points. Just trying to give you some ideas to check out.
As for the u-joint, I would still check it. They can go out sooner than you think. I replaced two in the front in the past few months do to lack of grease.:lecture: lesson learned.

Kim.

in my experience U-Joints make a "tweeting" sound when they are a skosh dry. I have heard it on my rig and other folks. Always went away with some grease being shot into them.

John

Back