• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will my new truck work for a tow rig?

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Well I pickup up a fleet rig from work today since were upgrading shop rigs for 500 bucks. It is a 97 f350 with 351 auto with overdrive 2wd almost 200,000 miles and still running real well. It has a almost 12 ft flat bed and a hydraulic liftgate. It is 11,000-12,000 gvw roughly and has hauled many a heavy pipe loads through its life. I have measured the bed and it definitly has the room for my cherokee if I built some ramps to drive it up in. From your guys personal experience/ ford knowledge will this suffice you think to get my cherokee to and from the trails or it is a bit to much for a rig like this. Either way it was a hell of a deal for 500 bucks!
IMG_8089.jpg

IMG_8090.jpg

i wouldn't hesitate to hitch my jeep up to the bumper on a trailer but i wouldn't load it on the flat bed... at least not regularly. maybe in a pinch but not purpose built...

it depends on how tall your jeep is. it should have the capisity to hull it. they use thoes trucks for roll back wreckers. mabe find a loading ramp and try driving it in it befor you spend the time to build ramps.

it depends on how tall your jeep is. it should have the capisity to hull it. they use thoes trucks for roll back wreckers. mabe find a loading ramp and try driving it in it befor you spend the time to build ramps.
Sprechen sie eingisch bitte schon.

I wouldn't use the bed. That's way to high for me to be comfortable.

Sprechen sie eingisch bitte schon.

What's the truck curb lbs?
I don't see it being that bad, he's not racing with the jeep on the back..
The truck is between 5,000 and 8,000lbs puting 3,600 to 4,000 in the back (it's a work truck huling steel pipe I'm sure it's had more the 4,000lbs in the back) is not a big deal.
At work we put 2 steel boxs, each box being 4 to 5,000lbs in the back of a scrap steel truck just like that one.

I Would rather have a low center of gravity. It's already high with that truck. Throw a lifted jeep on top of it, Good luck.

Sprechen sie eingisch bitte schon. .
???? are you ok????

I Would rather have a low center of gravity. It's already high with that truck. Throw a lifted jeep on top of it, Good luck.

dont by any means throw a jeep onto the top of that truck. You will crush the roof. Drive it up there with ramps. And for the center of gravity ummm let the air out of the tires. Also you can put a anti sway bar on it, air bags. it wont be any worse than putting it in a roll back wrecker.

Sell it.

???? are you ok????
dont by any means throw a jeep onto the top of that truck. You will crush the roof. Drive it up there with ramps. And for the center of gravity ummm let the air out of the tires. Also you can put a anti sway bar on it, air bags. it wont be any worse than putting it in a roll back wrecker.

And or use ratchet straps (or maybe chain binders if you want to be hard core about it) to partially compress the suspension, thus lowering COG.

What sort of XJ are you hauling? Pics?

IMG_7971.jpg

Its all good im just going to take care of licensing and sell it. Its not even really a f350 it has a custom frame and ginormous rear end. I thinkint about asking around 6000 for it obo.

Its all good im just going to take care of licensing and sell it. Its not even really a f350 it has a custom frame and ginormous rear end. I thinkint about asking around 6000 for it obo.
i'll give you 500 and the licensing fees....

get that jeep up their. My 9 1/2ft. camper weighs 4000lbs and site higher than that jeep ever would and i haul it on a 3/4ton... with my jeep on a trailer behind it. just keep the tranny temp cool...don't tow with the overdrive on.

Pull it on the flatbed and measure how high it sits. Seems like most low-clearance overpasses are 14 feet, you should be good with that as far as highway towing goes. You could also strap it down and tow it around town a bit and see how it feels. Of course, in high-wind conditions on the highway it's probably be a bitch to hold your lane. It's probably more risk and potential tragedy than it's worth.

Interstate height limit == 13'6".

How is a Jeep on a flatbed is much different from a box truck full of whatever in terms of COG, wind load, etc? How is it different from a flatbed tow truck?

I'm a big guy and like to eat. That would make an awesome grocery getter...

Seriously though, most flatbed tow trucks have smaller diameter tires and the bed sits lower than your truck. COG is definitely the main concern. As suggested before, put your rig up there, chain it down and take it for a drive to see how it handles. It might be perfectly fine.

Regardless, nice score.

Back