• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Oil in Engine

cloudswimmer

NAXJA Forum User
Big Doh! here, went to add a quart of what I though was Mobil 1 motor
oil to my 4.0 HO engine, and when about a third to half a quart was in I realized it was Mobil 1 75-90W gear oil.Shit, always wear your friggin glasses.Anyway should I not worry about it, or do a complete oil change

As long as your oil pressure isn't too high, I wouldn't worry.

I have taken several beater farm trucks and run a mixture to get at least some oil pressure. Never saw a failure I could attribute to the oil.

Had a 51 Plymouth with a flathead, used to run 75w90 in it.

I wouldn't worry about it. Gear oil and engine oil viscosity aren't calculated the same anyway.

Didn't the size and shape of the bottle tip you off? Not trying to be a jerk but just the bottle would be enough for me to realize...

Didn't the size and shape of the bottle tip you off? Not trying to be a jerk but just the bottle would be enough for me to realize...

Some day you'll be old too, and your brain will not work quite as well as it does now, and you will understand :doh:

What are the odds that the sulfur in gear oil might affect the cat? Probably not much, especially if you change it pretty often.

I'd probably say screw it, myself.

Some day you'll be old too, and your brain will not work quite as well as it does now, and you will understand :doh:

There's no doubt about that ha, I have a lot of head injuries working against me too. Again I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it I've made more than my fair share of mistakes ;)

There's no doubt about that ha, I have a lot of head injuries working against me too. Again I wasn't trying to be a jerk about it I've made more than my fair share of mistakes ;)

No worries, if thats the worse mistake I make this year I'm doing pretty good :D

I walk into the shop--can't remember what I was going to do. I open the refrigerator, and I can't remember what I wanted.

As long as I don't forget why I'm standing in the bathroom, I can live with it.

Back