• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Manifold & Gauge set recommendation request

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Well, I am ready to spring for the gauge set. I work on 3 or 4 auto AC systems a year. I currently have an XJ with a leaky LP valve core, so I am going to be replacing that soon, and another with a leaky evaporator. I would appreciate input from those who own and use this equipment

I need a set with the vacuum port, possibly a kit that includes the pump. I also would like one that has spare parts readily available. I don't need a gauge that will stand up to daily use, but also don't like what I see in the Harbor Freight $49 set. I have read many AC posts here, many with pictures of the manifold set being used, but have found no discussion of what specific model was selected and why.

Please tell me the following:
- Manufacturer and model you are using
- Why you chose your specific set
- Where you bought it and why you chose that vendor

And please tell me, What is the purpose of the sight glass? :roll:

TIA
MoFo

Avoid the Interdynamics crap. Not sure what Harbor Freight has. After several failures of the Interdynamics, I bought a set through www.ackits.com (they also have awesome forums over there). A little more expensive but the quality is 10x better than the auto parts store stuff.

The sight glass is so you can see if you are charging with liquid or gas. It also lets you see the oil when you are putting in the oil charge.

Thanks diesel,

Which set of gauges did you buy and why did you choose that set?

I have seen some good prices for Mastercool on ebay, so that kind of scared me away from the brand. They are good?

MoFo

I use a set of Yellow Jacket series 41 gauges. There not cheap but if you search around you can probably find a set with hoses for under 100. Why did I choose them? You could use them every day and they would probably last a life time. Originally didn’t buy them for automotive work but I like how I can switch the hoses and work on something else. Mastercool and Yellow Jacket both make quality products.

Back