• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Chirp...

Joteism

NAXJA Forum User
I've read a lot about the "angry sparrows" and just about any other noises that these beautiful creatures make, but nothing I've done seems to fix this issue. Here's what happening...

When I get above 15mph, this high pitch chirp starts. It seems to be coming from the passenger rear. I generally only hear it when I'm driving next to a wall, other cars, or some other barrier on my right side. The chirp seems consistant with the tire rotation and goes away when I depress the brake even lightly. Now, two days ago, I replaced my drums, shoes, and all other brake hardware (springs etc) and that did nothing to help the chirp - I maybe crazy, but it may have actually gotten a little worse :)

Could it be the wheel bearings...?? What's baffling is the fact that it stops when I hit the brakes... I'm 90% sure it's coming from the right rear, but I'll have a buddy stick his head out of the window while I'm driving tonight just to be sure.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Get a cheap tape recorder or digital recorder and duct tape it to the axle. Seriously.

Have you tried putting it up on jack stands and crawling under there to listen while someone runs it up to 15 mph for you?

Back